Horizontal banding on Canon T6i (750D)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

ChrisR wrote:As would I be. :evil: It will be interesting to hear whether the sensor change in the 80D gets rid of this fault, or if any of their full frame sensors reproduces it.
I will be surprised. I believe this to be restricted to the 700D / 750D. I know the 600D did NOT have this issue as I owned one for a long time.

I have owned and used:

600D/T3i
6D
1D Mark X
1Ds III
5DIII
5DsR

And none of them exhibit this.

It is clearly limited to (some) sensors with PDAF pixels in their Hybrid CMOS AF III system.

But I would love to get clarity on the 80D too - I was considering it myself but timing was out.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I've just tried an 80D for a week and no sign of this (and I really did not expect to see it.. it really appears to correspond to the AF areas of that sensor design).

The 80D's fully articulated screen together with the (excellent) touch screen implementation makes it quite pleasing to use mounted on a microscope.
But... it does exhibit a very minor vibration at the onset of an exposure even with the EFSC turned on. This was disappointing. I really want to revisit it again, because I got very obsessive and tried some very "shaky" setups to see if it would be an issue. The shutter on my T3i died a couple weeks ago so I could not compare to that. When compared to the 50D (absolutely no vibration at onset of exposure) I dd see a difference with the "shakiest" set-up at shutter speeds right around 1/8 second.

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

This is good information. Have you ever by any chance used a 6D or 7D Mark II before? I am trying to compare these cameras as my 7D II has a mechanical sound before exposure start, however I have yet to see (even at 60x with water immersion objective and a wet mount) vibrations from it resulting in reduced image quality. I can see the vibration through the eye pieces, but I am not sure about timing.

Will test some more.

The only camera I ever used on the microscope with absolutely no vibration was the Canon 1DX. It was audibly and mechanically dead silent before exposure. Though I was worried my C-mount adapter would break ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic