Nikon Eclipse Problem..

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

flyer2o12

Nikon Eclipse Problem..

Post by flyer2o12 »

Hi,

In the past couple of days I am experiencing a problem with an Eclipse E600. When the lamp is switched on, there is a delay of about 2 seconds before it lights up. But as soon as it reaches its maximum set intensity, it instantaneously dims to the off state for approximately 15 seconds and then it repeats this on and off cycle indefintely.

Has anyone has this problem before?

Thanks

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Hello
It could be an electrolytic capacitor power supply. This causes the effect "hypo"

Francisco

Bushman.K

Post by Bushman.K »

I can confirm that.
In this case, it's better to stop using this power supply before it will blow up damaging other components and bring it to some electronics repair shop to replace capacitors.

flyer2o12

Re

Post by flyer2o12 »

Ok so the problem lies on the microscope power board?

Thank you so much!

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

If you can disassemble checks for any electrolytic capacitor "bloated".
It is not difficult to change

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Sometimes capacitors are starting to fail but have not yet bloated nor popped (a nasty disgusting mess, I would rather clean up a biological septic mess anytime! :x )

You may be able to determine the culprit by purchasing and using a new type of meter that is now available , almost for free from the far east , mostly china from what I have seen.

Look for "capacitor ESR meter" and compare the ESR of the installed capacitors with replacements. You could save yourself the labor of replacing them all when perhaps only one is the cause of the problem.

I recently had the pleasure of replacing lots of electrolytics on a bunch of terminals from the late seventies. About 60% of them started working immediately and perfectly after the replacement. I have talked to people who have done the same thing on motherboards.

I wish I had had an ESR meter to use.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0

and some of these multitesters can tell you all about semiconductors including whether or not they are damaged too. All for VERY little money.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Wow, $50. I paid over $500 many years ago.

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

I have an ESR meter at work, I shall bring home today and test them. I will update this thread when I make some progress.

Thanks guys!

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Would anyone happen to have a circuit diagram for the Nikon Eclipse E600 circuit board?

Thanks

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

For anyone who might experience this problem in the future where their E600 experiences a power board failure as described above, I have attached this image. I have replaced these capacitors and all is working fine now! Thank you all for your help

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Good to know.:smt023
I expect it was #1, or perhaps #5 . I wouldn't expect it of Nikon, but caps like these are often marginal on temperature ratings. Thankfully they've become smaller over the years so it's possible to replace with a better component than the original.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic