Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR + Stackshot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR + Stackshot

Post by johan »

Before I press the inevitable 'buy' button on this quite pricey tripod ball head to match a STABIL macro tripod, would anyone have any experience that they could share about the Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR ballhead and having a stackshot & bellows set up on it?

Looks to me like Stackshot will fit straight into this ballhead and then I can mount a bellows or other optical arrangement on the stackshot in the usual way.

Many thanks for input
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

I have the BH-55 (this one to be precise: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc ... Pro&key=it)

The ballhead is exactly the same, only the clamp is different. Indeed, the stackshot fits straight on the ballhead. Although, I rarely have the stackshot on it, I use it a lot for my 100mm macro (outside, with the novoflex castel) and I love this ballhead. The weight of the stackshot + heavy camera + heavy bellows is absolutely no problem at all for this ballhead. It is expensive, but highly recommended! :D

johan

Post by johan »

Thanks Niels, much appreciated, that's what I was hoping to hear =). Quite surreal to have an answer from someone in Groningen - I grew up there (grote beerflat). Small world :)

Thank you again
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

Is this ballhead also good for general photography? I am thinking of replacing the one on my Manfrotto.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

I say absolutely, although I would not recommend it for long telephoto lenses (e.g. 600mm).

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

A photographer I assist for has a BH55 head. It is a terrific head: well made, smooth to operate, and sturdy. My main ball head is an Arca B1. I prefer the BH55. For general photography with a DSLR it would be terrific. If you get into really special use areas, there might be better choices, such as using an 8x10 view camera, a Sinar, super telephotos....

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you Peter. I ordered one. I confess to feeling a frisson of excitement... at a tripod head can you believe it. Christmas present from me to me. Let's hope Mrs Johan doesn't look too closely at my bank statement!!! :oops:

rayB

BH-55 ballhead

Post by rayB »

I own a BH-55 along with some other RRS heads. Expensive, yes, but an absolute joy to use. I don't regret one dollar that I've spent buying these heads.

rayB

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

nielsgeode wrote:I say absolutely, although I would not recommend it for long telephoto lenses (e.g. 600mm).
I agree with not recommending this head for big telephoto lenses, but would extend the recommendation to avoid all ball heads and pan/tilt heads for huge lenses, like a 600mm f/4. A lens like this is large, heavy, and--I think--dangerous, if not safely mounted. For me, "safely mounted" means a full gimbal (as opposed to a ball head, pan/tilt head, or semi-gimbal head, such as a Wimberley Sidekick). For folks unaccustomed to the difference between a ball head and a gimbal head: A ball head orbits a point below the lens; a gimbal head orbits around a point above the lens. So a lens/camera on a ball head, if one lets go, can easily fall forward or backward--potentially breaking equipment or crushing a finger; but with a properly balanced gimbal head, on the other hand, if one lets go, the assemblage gently swings to a neutral horizontal position beneath the head, unlikely to damage anything.

--Chris

----Admin was here----

johan

Post by johan »

Chris S. wrote:
nielsgeode wrote:I say absolutely, although I would not recommend it for long telephoto lenses (e.g. 600mm).
I agree with not recommending this head for big telephoto lenses, but would extend the recommendation to avoid all ball heads and pan/tilt heads for huge lenses, like a 600mm f/4. A lens like this is large, heavy, and--I think--dangerous, if not safely mounted. For me, "safely mounted" means a full gimbal (as opposed to a ball head, pan/tilt head, or semi-gimbal head, such as a Wimberley Sidekick). For folks unaccustomed to the difference between a ball head and a gimbal head: A ball head orbits a point below the lens; a gimbal head orbits around a point above the lens. So a lens/camera on a ball head, if one lets go, can easily fall forward or backward--potentially breaking equipment or crushing a finger; but with a properly balanced gimbal head, on the other hand, if one lets go, the assemblage gently swings to a neutral horizontal position beneath the head, unlikely to damage anything.

--Chris

----Admin was here----
Just to update now that I actually have it, this RSS ballhead has a trick up its sleeve regarding Chris's observation. It operates in two ways - the first being the conventional one where you use the big knob to tighten and untighten the tension on the ballhead - so you could forget to tighten like Chris says and it might drop.

But it also has a second method, continuous tension, which means you set continuous tension on the ballhead but you can still move it. I have it on a tripod with sigma 150-500 and there's no danger of it dropping and I can also move it to whatever position I want. So what Chris says, yes for most ballheads, but not all. I can let go when set, and it doesn't fall forward or backward at all.
Last edited by johan on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I have a Kirk BH-1 ballhead with the same feature

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ball-heads.html

In addition there is an ASC snap collar which absolutely prevents tipping while still allowing full rotation and limited tilting. Easily and quickly attached/removed.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic