Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150mm macro 1:4

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150mm macro 1:4

Post by Harold Gough »

Although I am now well-provided with Leitz Emarit lenses which do rather better than my Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 lens for digital, with the advantage of the x2 crop factor, they cannot be made to fit my 35mm OM film cameras.

I have some Carl Zeiss Jenazooms but the smallest field of vison (x2 crop) is 70mm wide (140mm on 35nm).

I have recently see some very good images from a Vivitar (Kiron) prime macro lens. While waiting for an affordable copy to become available I researched the zoom and decided to purchase one with an Olympus OM mount. I am very pleased with the intial results for a test chart.

Here are the first shots, FOV 70mm wide at 150mm, closest focus. The flower is 35mm across.

1/125 f8 ISO 200

1/120 f8 ISO 200

So, the lenses I can use with film do the same maximum magnification but the weights are 427g and 722g. The lighter lens will be much less tiring and is more suitable to use on extension, if required. The minimal working distance is (approximately) 650mm and 1200 mm, respectively, perhaps significant for some subjects/environments.

The minimal length of each lens is 110mm and 180mm. My new, digital only, backpack was straining a little with the bulk and weight when the Jenazoom was included. The Kiron will relieve this problem when I don't need a longer zoom. (I now carry a 180mm and TCs).

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The same, with a Marumi +5 on the front of the lens.

1/80 f8 ISO 400*, handheld:

Uncropped:

* I tried at ISO 800 but the results were similar, although the plane of focus was not so good.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I have now obtained a copy of the Kiron 105mm 1:1 macro (2:1 on my m4/3). Unfortunately, it has a Canon FD mount (I would have prefered OM), which means another adapter in my bag. That is probably why my offer, which was £35 below the Buy Now price, was accepted, costing about half the average price of this lens.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The Kiron 105mm features here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 665#126665

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic