JML 20X Results (keep adding pictures)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

Green Crystal Grotto

Post by BugEZ »

A photo of a malachite specimen.

110 images, JML 20X with Pentax 200mm telephoto as tube lens. Zerene PMax, synthetic stereo. LED bucket light.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely! And thank you, THANK YOU for the stereo. Without that I would have much less appreciation for the complexity of this specimen.

--Rik

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Rik wrote:
THANK YOU for the stereo
You are welcome. Without the stereo it is just too busy. The stereo gives an appreciation of the dark translucent projections.

Tiny mineral crystals are much more of a challenge than one might expect.

Keith

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Keith,

The stereo is spectacular!

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

abpho

Post by abpho »

More great examples with this lens. Nice work.

How do you view these stereo images? I tried crossing my eyes but that doesn't work.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Ecooper

Post by Ecooper »

OK,his thread (and others) have convinced me to buy one of these. I have been compiling information from this site about these lenses, best techniques, etc. But one thing has escaped me...what exactly were these lenses designed for?

EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

abpho

Post by abpho »

The lens used in this thread is a JML Optical 20x 0.30 222/0 WD 12mm objective lens. It was used on a microscope. Are you thinking about the holy grail of macro lenses, the JML 21mm f/3.5? Currently neither is available on E-bay.

Ecooper

Post by Ecooper »

abpho wrote:The lens used in this thread is a JML Optical 20x 0.30 222/0 WD 12mm objective lens. It was used on a microscope. Are you thinking about the holy grail of macro lenses, the JML 21mm f/3.5? Currently neither is available on E-bay.
You mean there are 2 JML lenses being discussed on this site? Man it is hard to keep track of things! LOL! Yes, I have decided to get a JML 21mm f3.5. That was the lens I was referring to when I asked what it was originally designed for...

EC

abpho

Post by abpho »

JML makes a ton of lenses for all sorts of applications. I believe some of the users here are (were) using a set of JML enlarging lenses. Maybe called copy lenses. I bought a JML 10mm f/1.3 lens in hopes of finding a hidden gem. Ends up 10mm is too high a magnification for what I can use with my setup (which is all manually driven). I think 10mm focal length lens has roughly a 20x magnification. That lens ended up being completely useless to me. You might find it on E-bay one of these days. ;)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ecooper wrote:Yes, I have decided to get a JML 21mm f3.5. That was the lens I was referring to when I asked what it was originally designed for...
We don't know exactly what application the JML 21mm f/3.5 was designed for. The mount is similar to what's commonly used in microfilm readers, but it has a very wide field of view and extremely low CA for that application. I'm guessing it was targeted for some industrial inspection job. See discussion starting HERE.

--Rik

Ecooper

Post by Ecooper »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Ecooper wrote:Yes, I have decided to get a JML 21mm f3.5. That was the lens I was referring to when I asked what it was originally designed for...
We don't know exactly what application the JML 21mm f/3.5 was designed for. The mount is similar to what's commonly used in microfilm readers, but it has a very wide field of view and extremely low CA for that application. I'm guessing it was targeted for some industrial inspection job. See discussion starting HERE.

--Rik
Thanks. Given the high interest in this lens, it would be really useful to have a thread or pdf file readily available that summarizes the specs.

EC

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ecooper wrote:Given the high interest in this lens, it would be really useful to have a thread or pdf file readily available that summarizes the specs.
I've added it as a FAQ: What is a JML 21mm f/3.5 lens?

--Rik

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Glad people are getting such good results with this lens. I am glad that I could help.

Rich

johan

Post by johan »

A first (very garish PMAXmethod ) effort from me on this JML 20:1, adding to the sunset fan club. The corners on APSC arn't great but still, value for money. Flickr seemed to like it though.

Sunset Moth Scales by Johan J.Ingles-Le Nobel, on Flickr
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic