Olympus BHA era transformer question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Will Milne

Olympus BHA era transformer question

Post by Will Milne »

Hi

I have a BH-RLA vertical illuminator for my BHA scope seen mounted on the scope here -

I currently use it by disconnecting the connection from the base illuminator - the finned housing seen on the lower right here- and plugging the BHA-RLA into the socket - basically using the builtin transformer in a one or the other setup.

I would like to be have a seperate transformer so I could mix transmitted illumination and vertical illumination . This would require that I have a seperate transformer to power either the base light source or the BH- RLA

As far as I have been able to determine that transformer is the Olympus TGHM with the following specs -

Input voltage - 110/115 V, 50–60 Hz
Input current - 0.7/0.6 A 0.35/0.30 A
Output - 6 V 30 W
Fuse - 7 A Fast 7 A Fast

My question(s) are this

- can someone confirm this is the correct transformer?
- does anyone have this transformer they would like to part with at a reasonable cost
- is there a source for a non- Oly substitute that would do the job

My current relationship with electricity/input and output voltages/Amps etc is that I don't understand them and I am in the same state of fear as dealing with the mind of my 16 year old daughter. :))))

Will

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Will, you can confirm that the voltage is correct (and possibly change it if you care to ) by examining the lamp in the vertical illuminator lamphouse.

That is, it probably is a six volt lamp, but it is very possible to replace a six volt lamp with a twelve volt lamp, and increase the wattage a bit if that is desirable, for what you want to shoot, or look at.

Six volt lamps in the type of illuminator pictured, are either 15 watts if they are tubular flat square wound filaments, or more likely a six volt 10 or 20 watt quartz halogen capsule type bulbs. (If its a tubular bulb it is less easy to change the wattage)

In either case a 30 or 40 watt illuminator transformer will be easy to find.
If you send me a PM I can help you with one as I have more on hand than I will ever need.

If you want more light you could find a 12 volt lamp that has higher wattage and get a corresponding 12 volt tranformer. You would need to restrict it to about 50 watts because it would be possible to overheat and damage the lamp hose. A tiny computer fan might be worth adding under those circumstances.

Undo the lamphouse and show us a picture of the lamp as it would be replaced and it will tell the tale definitively.

Will Milne

Post by Will Milne »

Hi - thanks for the reply

The bulbs are 6v-8v 30W Tungsten - Ushio 8C102

Will

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic