Body for MP-E handheld shoots

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gmazza

Body for MP-E handheld shoots

Post by gmazza »

These are a few thoughts for Canon MP-E 65mm users in APS-C bodies, esp important if you are after action moving subjects.

From now most of my shoots in the last 15 months were with the MP-E 65mm and canon 7D, the lens live in the body and I really like the results and dust free images. But I'm must admit, its a pretty overkill to keep the MP-E on a 7D body and the only important feature I use is the nice 100% viewfinder coverage.

The 7D body weight more than 800g while a entry level body weight 500g on average so I am trading a 5% more viewfinder coverage for 300g more of weight (it's almost the weight of an extra flash unit)

so I though about returning this lens to my nice 500D body, the problem is this one is no longer a "dust free" body due to lots of lens changes. I think for more time I will continue with the current setup as I don't have better use for the 7D body than extreme macro captures. BUT I'm very curious to know what the macro mates think about the use of a entry level body for MP-E handheld shoots.

Along the current bodies I found the 1100D (T3) as a very interesting alternative for the MP-E rest on:

- low weight
- 12 Mp sensor with better noise control than previous 450D (in reality I dont need the 18 Mp of the 7D even this 12 MP sensor is too much resolution for the apertures used with the lens)
- lack of unneeded features for the lens ( I don't need advanced AF system or a lot of frames per second nor high iso for these flash photography, as I use exclusively manual flash I don't even need advanced TTL control, I already switched from the 580 EX II to a yongnuo to economise weight)

reasons to keep in a high end APS-C body:

- 100% viewfinder coverage, the 7D viewfinder is precise, clear and allow a good control of image borders for most of the shoots, once you are used with it don't want to live without it
- Confidence, to have the most used lens in the most featured body
- I know a diffraction affected file of 12 MP and 18 MP have the same resolution, but some people don't, and simply value more the higher pixel count file, or could even value more due to gear used to make the photo

Simple, but I will value a lot the opinions that could come, and please exclude from the responses cameras with large capture area (APS-H and full frame) these are wonderful, but have the penalty of being heavy and require higher magnifications to fill the frame.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

One thing I found irksome with a "Rebel" was having to press a button to move between altering Aperture and Shutter speed, in Manual. I'm used to it now, but it can be hard to find the button. It needs a "pip" like the 5 on a calculator!

The "better" Canon models with an extra control wheel and top plate lcd would have better ergonomics generally I'm sure.
I'm inclined to agree about 18MP being too much, too.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Gustavo,

I can give the 'thumbs up' to a Canon 50D. It is still possible to find them 'new' and the price is very reasonable. It's the little brother of the 7D but has no video capabilities and also lacks the 100% viewfinder feature. However, it does weigh 730g, so it's not much lighter than the 7D. I have not used any of the 'smaller' Canons.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

I use mine on my 50D

I have to go with Chris, I would not be able to live without the extra dial you find on the XXD, 7D or higher end model. The rebel bodies are frustrating to use as you do not have instant access to all the manual settings. When shooting in the field, you need to act fast and set settings accordingly.

Also, ergonomics, the MPE balances well on a XXD (or 7D) body, not so well on a rebel (it is a heavy lens). The size of the body as well, although for someone with smaller hands rebels might be more pleasing.

the viewfinder would not be an issue for me as I always use liveview and magnification.

What I could think is that the 60D could be interesting with the swivel screen, I know I would like to have that gizmo.

On my side, I wish to get a full frame eventually, the 5DmkII as I would "love" to loose the 1.6x crop factor with the MPE. On the field, I rarely go between 4x and 5x, but would love to not have to change the lense as often when I encounter bigger bugs. It will eventually be my next body, but this is a very long way from now!

Martin

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Martin,

Regarding the MP-E and larger subjects.

Brian recently uploaded an image demonstrating the outcome of a combination discussed in detail both here and on other forums. It involves attaching a 2X teleconverter to the front of the MP-E.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15576

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

Craig,

it is interesting, I had read about it before from Brian but had kind of forgot about it.

I use the twinflash, so it would not be very convenient for me, Brian uses a flashgun on a bracket (well I could do the same as it was my original setup), so I presume he can put and remove the TC more easily. Still it is quite interesting nevertheless.

Ideally is that I would have the MPE on a full frame and would use my current 50D with a "regular" 1:1 macro.

Martin

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

Craig,

while reading the rest of the post you linked to, I discovered a member uses the set up with the twin flash... interesting!

Will have to experiment I guess

Martin

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Thank you very much folks, I agree with the rear dial to be more ergonomic in the 7D, I'm glad some days passed and noone issued image quality differences, the thing goe most for ergonomics and usability.

As a hidden agenda I recently got the canon 100mm 2.8 "L" and see the 7D as a perfect fit for this lens. While I need a very clean sensor for most of my stopped shoots with MP-E I am looking for a spare body that is clean, could fire an EOS lens and dont' have features unneded by the MP-E (for example the lens just don't need the 7D advanced AF)

As a contribution to the off topic issue of the adapter, I have tested 2 Komura teleconverter with my MP-E, but the lost of light and image quality don't justify the use, better go to the field with one infinite capable macro lens in one body and the MP-E in another body, while I want to keep the weight low.

So I'm ready for the tradeoff in ergonomics of a entry level camera (less weight for worse viewfinder and controls), but unsure about IQ issues.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

gmazza wrote:As a contribution to the off topic issue of the adapter, I have tested 2 Komura teleconverter with my MP-E, but the lost of light and image quality don't justify the use, better go to the field with one infinite capable macro lens in one body and the MP-E in another body, while I want to keep the weight low.
I ordered a TC for cheap, will give it a try anyway just in case. Snapping on and off a TC in front of the MPE sounds too good to be true.

I agree about the two bodies, but it can also be annoying to carry two bodies on long field trip. I done it in French Guiana in 2009 and it was really not that pleasant. But my second body was my old Rebel xt and it is possible I did not enjoy it that much since I had discovered the joys of liveview on my 50D. So I am ready to retry the 2 bodies aproach with a 5D II for the MPE and the 50D for my 100L (or at least I can dream about it!).

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Martin G. wrote:
I ordered a TC for cheap, will give it a try anyway just in case. Snapping on and off a TC in front of the MPE sounds too good to be true.
I think for the price is worth to have one at home, is even possible to orader a PK mount to 58 mm reverse or M42 to 58 reverse for complete comfort, but the IQ do not satisfy my requisites.
Martin G. wrote: I agree about the two bodies, but it can also be annoying to carry two bodies on long field trip.
Long field trips are an exception of the rule.
Martin G. wrote: So I am ready to retry the 2 bodies aproach with a 5D II for the MPE and the 50D for my 100L (or at least I can dream about it!).
Interesting point, I'm thinking about the opposite, got a FF when it comes for the 100mm to rest in and keep the MP-E in the croped camera.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic