A place to look for innexpensive/free microscopy equipment

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leander

A place to look for innexpensive/free microscopy equipment

Post by leander »

I'm retired but I still give biotechnology talks at some universities. I gave one on Friday and happened to mention to my sponsoring professor that I was looking for a few microsope objectives and a moveable specimen stage. He said one of the departments has been trying for a year or two to give away many microscopes after a department closed down or moved or reduced its size. Evidently it's not a simple thing for them to donate them to other public entities (or at least for this group). He said he was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem to get some equipment for me - for free. I'll let you know if this does happen and if they would be willing to do it for other photographers!

It might be a good idea anyone to contact their local university and just ask if they have any equipment they are not using. I've seen it (unused equipment) even within the biotechnology industry. Just email the department head or department administration assistant and ask. Try microbiology, immunology, molecular and cell biology, pathology or structural biology.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I work at a large teaching university in the midwest. Indeed regulations sometimes stand in the way of moving equipment to where it "should" go such as to high schools or even motivated hobbyists.

However there are often ways to bend rules that really don't serve much. And the first step in making such things happen is to inquire.

Before I got there the place I work , sent to state surplus, a quantity of Wild M5 stereos that were built in the 1960s. (which I spotted on ebay and recognized the ID engraving. They brought around $400 to $800.) They were going to surplus more of them and I said "Over my dead body!" They are now safely ensconced in various professors research labs where they will probably work beautifully for another fifty years. Each one I have examined has worked perfectly. They wanted to surplus them because the newer scopes from China have built in light sources.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic