Anyone Doing Field Stacking With a Rail?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doppler9000

Anyone Doing Field Stacking With a Rail?

Post by Doppler9000 »

If so, what controller are you using, and/or which controller would you prefer to be using?

Looking for a turnkey, simple but flexible interface.

Lou Jost

Re: Anyone Doing Field Stacking With a Rail?

Post by Lou Jost »

I don't know what magnification you want, but if the magnification is not too high or the subject is not too deep, I highly recommend field stacking without a rail. Use a camera with focus stacking to control the tube lens, and put an objective or reversed lens on that. With a tube lens that has a long focus throw, you can do up to about 5x on an MFT camera. It is very fast and easy, and that's important because light changes fast outdoors. The rail method wastes a large amount of time, at least with stock controllers (minimum 2s per shot instead of a tiny fraction of a second per shot with focus stacking).

lothman

Post by lothman »

some times I set the camera at high frame rates (10 Pic/sec in my case) press fire and move the rail. Therefore a rail with a high pitch gives good control and axial reach.

Doppler9000

Post by Doppler9000 »

Lou Jost wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:48 pm
I don't know what magnification you want, but if the magnification is not too high or the subject is not too deep, I highly recommend field stacking without a rail. Use a camera with focus stacking to control the tube lens, and put an objective or reversed lens on that. With a tube lens that has a long focus throw, you can do up to about 5x on an MFT camera. It is very fast and easy, and that's important because light changes fast outdoors. The rail method wastes a large amount of time, at least with stock controllers (minimum 2s per shot instead of a tiny fraction of a second per shot with focus stacking).
My camera, Sony A7xxx, does not do focus stacking.

I am also using some barrel lenses for multi spectrum work.

paganel

Post by paganel »

Hello! I am using the "all-in-one" macro rail of my development. As for me is it best solution for field macrophotography - portable, with build-in battery and with step from 1/1000mm to 10mm.
You can find more information about my rails here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42675
I will be glad to answer your questions :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic