Upgrading the Macro Table 2.0

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Upgrading the Macro Table 2.0

Post by Deanimator »

After my move after a fire, my macro rig ended up on my still life table instead of the macro table.

This in fact turned out to be an improvement since my new living room floor doesn't sway when I walk on it and the old table was huge.

The old table was in the way and preventing me from cleaning up the spare bedroom I use for storage. A couple of weeks ago I made enough room to clean the junk off the table so I could break it down.

Since the still life table was never intended to hold anything heavier than a handgun or a bowl of fruit, it wasn't built to support a 100lb. steel plate, aluminum extrusions, a Wemacro and camera. It wasn't in danger of falling apart, but it was flimsy for the weight.

I knew I was going to cannibalize the structural pipe components of the old table, either for an ammunition reloading bench or to rebuild the replacement macro table. Since all of my reloading gear is packed away in a box and it's hard to get components these days, I decided to go with the macro table.

I added a second square section of tubing to the middle, both as reinforcement and to hold a shelf for my Wemacro and any odd items I might be using at the moment. I added shelf supports to the bottom section so I could have another shelf for the power strip and other items. I also replaced the small casters that I used for the still life table with the large locking casters that had been on the large table.

While reassembling the table I found that using the top and 3/4" PVC pipe made an excellent fixture for truing up the frame, something which I had not done previously.

The last step is going to be adding mounting bars on three sides for clamp on stands for the studio strobes and a fourth in the rear for the monitor I used to focus.

Once all of the junk is off of the floor, I plan to move the rig into the spare bedroom which is much darker than the living room when the lights are turned off, avoiding stray light during stacks.

I still need to cut a bunch of pipe for the strobe supports and the rear shelf that's going to hold the monitor, as well as buying more shelf supports if Lowe's has them in stock.

When I get a chance, I'll post some pictures of the table as it is now, and when it's finished with the rig back on top.

If I can't shoot guns (no ammunition or components in the stores), I might as well shoot macro.

DavyC

Re: Upgrading the Macro Table 2.0

Post by DavyC »

I think you have made the right choice. Shooting Macro is the way to go.

It will be good to see the new set-up.

As Benjamin Franklin said, "Out of adversity comes opportunity".

Good luck

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

The table itself is done and the design for the mounting shelves for the strobes prototyped and proven. When I'm done, the strobes will be adjustable in x, y and z axes.

Now I have to move my workbench onto the balcony and cut a bunch of pipe with an angle grinder so that I can assemble the other three strobe mounts.

When I get all of the reloading gear either on shelves or mounted on the workbench again, I'll be able to move the table back into the middle bedroom and get my dining room back.

I've spent a lot of time and a bunch of money on this, but combined with no longer living in a slum falling down around my head, I expect to get much better results.

After this, I need to work on diffusion, which should involve much less expense, if not time.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

The table is complete. It only requires the camera rig, strobes and monitor to be put back on the table. There's a temporary shelf for the Wemacro control box that will be replaced with a couple of permanent shelves bolted in place when I have time to find a cut a couple to fit.

I'll probably post a few pictures tomorrow.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

A few images of the completed table, minus the strobes and monitor:
_MG_4859.jpg
_MG_4858.jpg
_MG_4857.jpg
_MG_4856.jpg
_MG_4855.jpg
_MG_4854.jpg
_MG_4853.jpg
_MG_4852.jpg

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Always good to see photos. The framing looks neat and heavy duty industrial. You have been busy.
Is it going to be rock steady re the wheels/carpet and under flooring?

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

DavyC wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:16 am
Always good to see photos. The framing looks neat and heavy duty industrial. You have been busy.
Is it going to be rock steady re the wheels/carpet and under flooring?
It weighs a ton and doesn't want to move easily, even when pushed.

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

That's good. A ton should keep things rooted to the spot. Good luck with the rest of the setting up.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Table's done with the two shelves added.

Just have to put all of the macro hardware back on and start experimenting with the diffusion setup. I've switched to translucent plastic cutting mats.

Pictures of the table and some experimental shots coming soon.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Images of the finished table:
_MG_4863.jpg
_MG_4862.jpg
_MG_4861.jpg
_MG_4860.jpg

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Started doing test shots this morning.

Images are overexposed at 1/16 power on the strobes with the cutting mat diffusers.

After this short stack finishes, I'll wipe the card, dial the strobes back to minimum and see what happens.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Did another test stack last night. Image is of the torch on a dime at 4x with the Amscope finite objective. Had to shoot at 1/3250.

Decent results:
Attachments
Shrunk 2021-0~1.jpg

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Had to shoot at 1/3250
I don't have enough experience with macro setups, but the 1/3250 seems brief. Either those strobes are pumping out lots of light,
or you have the ISO cranked up.
You are making progress. I just picked up an Amscope 4x. Not yet tested though.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

DavyC wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:51 am
Had to shoot at 1/3250
I don't have enough experience with macro setups, but the 1/3250 seems brief. Either those strobes are pumping out lots of light,
or you have the ISO cranked up.
You are making progress. I just picked up an Amscope 4x. Not yet tested though.
The Flashpoint Studio 300s do put out a lot of light, and they only go down to 1/16 power. I always shoot at ISO 100.

My new diffusion using translucent cutting mats lets in a lot more light than the packing sheets did. I'll probably buy another pack of them so that I can triple up on all three sides of the subject.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I ended up buying two seven packs of plastic cutting mats. If it's necessary, I can have seven a piece on all three sides of the subject.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic