Orthoplan Photomicrography using KAVAR

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Orthoplan Photomicrography using KAVAR

Post by Pau »

Perl wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:13 pm
The GW 10X 26 FOV Periplan are not specified to any special tubelength
Regards
Pär
I don't know the eyepiece you are referring to, but as you very likely know the eyepieces for 170 and 160 scopes are different (and the TL is not written on them):
170: primary image located 18mm below the end of the tube, i.e. optical TL 152mm
160: DIN standard, primary image located 10mm below the end of the tube, optical TL 150mm

I use 170 Periplan eyepieces with a 8mm extender in my 160 microscope for this reason. Optically they seem to be full compatible. Using 160 eyepieces on 170 stands would not be convenient
Pau

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi
Dont think it matter on Leitz Microscopes
But not sure about if this is just for 10 X Periplan FOV 26

But my 8 X FOV 28 Newer Design Periplan working fine on my Orthoplan

Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

bill2penn

Post by bill2penn »

UPDATE: I received the Orthomat-W optical tube plus camera and cartridge a couple days ago from my friend in Netherlands and have been busy exploring it's use as a digital camera adapter especially for wide-field use. While I'm still in the process of getting everything sorted, I am quite happy with the performance so far with my Canon 6D. However as I will describe in a separate thread, the Orthomat-W will be best (and almost perfectly!) matched with a mirrorless Canon camera which has a shorter flange to sensor distance (20mm) than my 6D (44mm). I include a couple images of a large diatom arrangement made by the late Klaus Kemp. These are single images (not stacked nor stitched) and with NO post-processing adjustments (except I had to scale them down to 1024x683 pixels to post them here) taken through the Orthomat-W set at 2.0X using my Canon 6D camera sitting on top of the tube without any adapter. They were taken with a Leitz NPL Fluotar 6.3X NA=0.20 170mm tube length lens.
For reference the size of the area being imaged is 1.49x2.23 mm. So with a diagonal of 2.68mm I believe this corresponds to a field-of-view or FN of 16.8. The Orthomat-W at 2X should have a field of view (FN) of 22. The reason I see less is because my camera sensor is 12mm further away than the original camera. I will detail this more in the other thread I will start (someday!).
Bill

EDIT: I have started the other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45851
Attachments
IMG_0562AA.jpeg
IMG_0563AA.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic