Approach to building a system

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MNBoldone

Post by MNBoldone »

After years of intermittently and unsuccessfully trying to purchase a microscope so I could photograph small organisms (probably initially lichen, insects, and plants), I am now thinking that a microscope objective mounted on a lense or extension tubes may yield better results and be easier to pull together.

The use of "finite" objectives on extension tubes seems more appealing to me than using my Canon 100mm macro lenses as a tube lense with "infinite" objectives. This option strikes me as simplier.

I already have canon bodies (6D and 7D mkII). It would seem that I need to start building this system by purchasing an objective then building from there. I see an objective for sale on ebay which is shown in the "FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?" post. It is a used Nikon 85011 CF N Plan 10X/0.30 Microscope Objective160mm.

I would really have no way to test the objective. Are issues with the objectives frequent enough that I should not purchase if I may not be able to try it during the return period?

It seems that once I have an objective; the adaptors and extension tubes should be easy to find. Then, I would have to build a base and purchase a rail.

So I guess my questions are:
1)Does it make sense to start by purchasing the objective first (even if I cannot test)?
2)Is the Nikon 85011 CF N Plan 10X/0.30 still considered to be a decent objective?
3) Is $150 a decent price for that objective?

Thanks all,
Brad B.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Approach to building a system

Post by Chris S. »

MNBoldone wrote:1)Does it make sense to start by purchasing the objective first (even if I cannot test)?
If this were a Mitutoyo objective, I'd say that it's never safe to purchase second hand without a test and return privilege. However, these Nikon objectives seem to be made of sterner stuff--I don't think they go bad nearly as easily. (This said, I've tested only a couple dozen Nikon finites (all of them good), and more dozens of Mitutoyo infinites than I've bothered to count (many of them bad).

Since we're both in the U.S., I'd suggest you have the objective shipped to me, and I'll test it for you against one of my specimens of this objective.
2)Is the Nikon 85011 CF N Plan 10X/0.30 still considered to be a decent objective?
Yes, they are very good optics.

3) Is $150 a decent price for that objective?

Yes, this is a decent price. I've seen them go for both less and more. Less, if you have time and patience, more if you don't. I paid $350 for my first specimen. Prices have come down since then, as at the time, this objective was the only known-good option for 10x, and now we have other options. But this is a fair price in the current market. Also, I'm pretty sure I've purchased from that vendor and had a good experience.

Edit to add:
Here is a sample stack I quickly shot with a CF N Plan 10X/0.30 lens I tested for a forum member, a few years ago, before sending the lens off to him. While this butterfly wing is not especially striking or detailed, the objective rendered it well--as well as any 10x I know of, at any price, would do:

--Chris S.

MNBoldone

Post by MNBoldone »

Thanks Chris,

I would like to take you up on your offer. I will email you.
Brad B.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic