Leica Darkfield

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

muckweed

Leica Darkfield

Post by muckweed »

Hi, I've been a lurking for a while and this is my first post, so "hello all"

I've just purchased a second hand Leica DM500 of which I am very pleased. I've been using it to view samples taken from my pond and thought I might be better served using darkfield. Now Leica do a darkfield slider for around £56+vat. I've been looking for a second hand version but to no avail. I contacted Fisher Sci in the UK and was told that unless I buy additional goods to make up the order to £200+vat there is a flat rate postal charge of £35!! Crazy. Do the good people of the forum have any other suggestions of a supplier, 3D printed versions available or shall I just wait for pre used? One other question, what size diameter are the darkfield filters. I might end up having to fabricate something myself.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Simon

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Leica Darkfield

Post by Pau »

Hi Simon,
welcome to the forum.

I don't know the details of your microscope. It seems to have an Abbe condenser with a slot for filters/phase rings/DF stops near the diaphragm.

This would be a good thing. You can cut DF and oblique illumination stops just made of transparent and opaque plastic or 3D printed

Some ebay sellers like "bauras" (a skilled forum member) make this kind of devices. You can contact him or just to have inspiration in his devices. You likely want to make different diameters of the stops adequate for your different objectives (easy for the 4X and 10X, more critical for the 40X and likely not working with the 100X)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/bauras/m.html? ... 3561.l2562
Pau

muckweed

Re: Leica Darkfield

Post by muckweed »

Hi Pau

Thanks for the info. Yes my Leica does have a slot for a filter holder. I've done exactly what you said and ordered a 3D printed version found on Ebay. At the time I didn't know about Baurus, so went with another seller. Sorry Baurus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic