Rotifer relief

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Hindpool

Rotifer relief

Post by Hindpool »

These may be of interest - two shots of one of the Brachionus rotifers identified in my previous post showing a fully functioning digestive system in action.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Excellent shots. You really have that DIC working beautifully. It's so clear and the rotifer so 'transparent' and the background very clean. Are you using much post processing of the images?
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Hindpool

Post by Hindpool »

Dave - thanks for the comments: it's the DIC that produces the results and there's not really much for the operator to worry about once it is set up.

This species of rotifer really is almost transparent. For selection I place a few drops of water in a small Petri dish under the stereo, using dark field illumination. It is stunning to see these crystal-like creatures going about their business like tiny tropical jellyfish in an aquarium. Only the outline of the lorica is visible leaving the trophi and mastax and internal organs clearly visible. The head is dominated by what appears to be a triple set of trochal discs arranged for all the world like a Philishave electric razor in an equilateral triangle with rounded corners (there's sure to be a name for that kind of figure . . . ) - wonderful to see. Here's a poor snap through the stereo which might just give you an idea -

Post-processing of my snaps is done in Photoshop CS3 and typically takes about three minutes: re-sizing, levels, minimal sharpening and that's about it. Anything that takes longer is likely to be a failure anyway, or so I have found. With moving subjects wastage is relatively high of course - so thanks be for digital photography!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic