Cross-eyed Auliscus sculptus and Navicula

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Cross-eyed Auliscus sculptus and Navicula

Post by rjlittlefield »

iconoclastica wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:47 am
If I use your formula to calculate the view angle, I find 0.95% either way, inserting average stack depth of 25µm and framewidth = 183.5µm. Should I crop the image before generating the stereo pair, the frame width would become one third of the original and so the view angle about 3%. Experimentally, I found 1% to be optimal, so the original frame width seems the measure to use, or rather, the cropped frame should have used a smaller view angle. How does this angle relate to the frame size?
It depends on when the crop is being done.

The key relationship is given at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... wing_angle :
subjectStackWidth = frame width at the subject
subjectStackDepth = stack depth at the subject
viewAngle = viewing angle, measured as angular deviation from the usual straight-on view
maximumShiftInX = tan(viewAngle) * (subjectStackDepth/subjectStackWidth) * 100%
To be more explicit, the width and depth are as measured at the subject, in the images as they appear while being stacked.

So, if you stack first and then crop the stacked outputs before making the stereo pair, the shift percentage will not depend on the crop. But if you crop outside Zerene Stacker, or if you use Options > Preferences > Preprocessing > Image Pre-cropping inside Zerene Stacker, then for any fixed angle the shift percentage will depend on the crop because the images being stacked will have a smaller subjectStackWidth but the same subjectStackDepth.

The same issue arises if the images are rotated before stacking, either outside Zerene Stacker or inside via Options > Preferences > Preprocessing > Image Pre-rotation. Any fixed angle requires a larger percent shift in portrait orientation than it does in landscape, because the subjectStackWidth is smaller in portrait.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks for the explanation Rik. Hopefully I can find the original image set. Thanks for the tip on NOT aligning SP's in SPM too.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Smokedaddy wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:37 pm
Thanks for the explanation Rik. Hopefully I can find the original image set. Thanks for the tip on NOT aligning SP's in SPM too.
Did you auto-align them? I am asking because I took your first L/R pair into SPM and got a result very similar to yours. However, after auto-aligning it got much worse.
--- felix filicis ---

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Yes, I did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic