blue bottle

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mickyfynn

blue bottle

Post by Mickyfynn »

Stacked image using
Zerene stacker and a stereo microscope
Attachments
bluebottle
bluebottle
Last edited by Mickyfynn on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: blue bottle

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's a nice image, but I have to question the ID.

Almost all the images that I find of Protophormia terraenovae -- and literally all of the images that I find at reliable sites such as bugguide.net and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protophormia_terraenovae -- show a classic blue bottle appearance with sparse hairs and a shiny cuticle which appears blue in most lighting conditions.

In comparison, the beast in your image is densely bristled, with the cuticle having a matte texture and longitudinal stripes. It looks much more like some flesh fly, family Sarcophagidae.

What are you seeing that makes you think Protophormia terraenovae?

--Rik

Mickyfynn

Post by Mickyfynn »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Almost all the images that I find of Protophormia terraenovae -- and literally all of the images that I find at reliable sites such as bugguide.net and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protophormia_terraenovae -- show a classic blue bottle appearance with sparse hairs and a shiny cuticle which appears blue in most lighting conditions.

In comparison, the beast in your image is densely bristled, with the cuticle having a matte texture and longitudinal stripes. It looks much more like some flesh fly, family Sarcophagidae.

--Rik
Hi Rik
I did a Google search !...I am no entomologist.
I will do further research to determine species. According to the Google search I did the Protomorphia is a common European species I went with that. The image was created using Zerene stacker which I am beginning to get the hang of.
Thanks Rik...

Mickyfynn

Post by Mickyfynn »

rjlittlefield wrote:

--Rik
Hi Rik
on further research I will stick with my original identification of this species.
Mickyfynn wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:21 am
rjlittlefield wrote:

--Rik
Hi Rik
I did a Google search !...I am no entomologist.
I will do further research to determine species. According to the Google search I did the Protomorphia is a common European species I went with that. The image was created using Zerene stacker which I am beginning to get the hang of.
Thanks Rik...
I have compared images of the flesh fly in the link you sent and the specimin I have and will stick with my Protophormia identification. Thanks for the input...Mick

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mick, please check your Private Messages. Thanks!

--Rik

Mickyfynn

Post by Mickyfynn »

Mickyfynn wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:54 am
Stacked image of a bluebottle(Protophormia Terraenovae) using
Zerene stacker and a stereo microscope
It now becomes apparent I have misidentified this fly. Can anyone help please?.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mick, can you show us a full-body image? It doesn't need to be a formal portrait, just something that shows us the overall impression and maybe some details of the wing venation.

(BTW, there's another PM waiting for you.)

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic