moths tongue

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mickyfynn

moths tongue

Post by Mickyfynn »

Interesting looking structure on this moths tongue.
moths tongue
moths tongue

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: moths tongue

Post by rjlittlefield »

That's an interesting structure! I do not recognize it, so I'll keep an eye out for something similar when I look at moths in the future.

Am I correct in thinking that it's on the underside, at the base of the proboscis near the head?

About the image, I notice that it could be quite a bit bigger and still fit within the forum rules.

As posted right now, your image is only 572x457 pixels, with a file length of 66 KB.

But we allow attached JPEGs that are up to 1024 pixels on each side, with a file length of up to 300 KB.

--Rik

Mickyfynn

Post by Mickyfynn »

Mickyfynn wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:10 pm
Interesting looking structure on this moths tongue.moths tongue.jpg
Hi Rik
that's correct it is near the head. It's a strange looking object that is covered in wing scales. I don't know if I created it during the mounting process which is a possibility. I can't get the whole of the tongue in the image I imagine I need a focal reducer of some description? ..Best..Mick

Mickyfynn

Post by Mickyfynn »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:07 pm
That's an interesting structure! I do not recognize it, so I'll keep an eye out for something similar when I look at moths in the future.

Am I correct in thinking that it's on the underside, at the base of the proboscis near the head?

About the image, I notice that it could be quite a bit bigger and still fit within the forum rules.

As posted right now, your image is only 572x457 pixels, with a file length of 66 KB.

But we allow attached JPEGs that are up to 1024 pixels on each side, with a file length of up to 300 KB.

--Rik
Hi Rik
I'm not sure about resizing image files?. I need a focal reducer to get all of the image into the frame
it may be possible to buy one also which iam not sure about. I suspect that I created the structure on the tongue by accident. It was a hell of a job getting the moth to part with it...!..Best...Mick

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The type of resizing that I'm talking about is something that would be done in software.

It is what gets you from say a 12 megapixel image that was shot by the camera, to the less than 1 megapixel image that you have posted here.

I have no idea what hardware and software you are using to shoot and post images.

If you describe that, perhaps I or somebody else can tell you where to find the controls. For hardware like your camera, please include model numbers.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic