Moss

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Moss

Post by Olympusman »

A few weeks ago, after almost twenty years of faithful service, my primary microscope became impossible to deal with. I bought a trinocular from ShopGoodwill.com for $150 as a replacement and as a result have had to redesign my microscope lab by switching around a half dozen condensers I has lying around, playing with projection lenses (aiming to use my Olympus NFKs) and tewsting various camera mounts to isolate the cameras frokm the scopes. Just about there.

This is a moss from a shaded area of gravel in my yard.
Gravel 1.jpg
Gravel 2.jpg
Gametophyte
Gravel gametophyte.jpg
Leaf cells
Gravel leaf cells.jpg
Leaf tip
Gravel leaf tip.jpg
Rhizoids
Gravel rhizoids.jpg
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Scarodactyl

Re: Moss

Post by Scarodactyl »

It looks very promising, a bit of peripheral CA bit beautiful and detailed photos. I assume the NFKs are matched with Olynpus objectives? I'm curious to see your loadout if you ever want to make an equipment thread--goodwill sells a surprising number of interesting microscopes

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm sorry to hear about the old scope. :(

What does "impossible to deal with" mean?

--Rik

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Impossible to deal with ...
Primarily, the stage crapped out. Its action was no longer smooth and I didn't want to replace it (and didn't have another stage lying around). The other big one was that with 40X objectives and higher two dark blobs appeared at approximately the 8:30 position in the field of view. Some kind of back focus issue, but never did find the problem. I had broken the scope down repeatedly to find the cause and finally gave up. I salvaged as much as I could from it (trinoc head, condenser). I have three scopes in my lab area, plus a metallurgival scope in my office. Besides parfocality, on each scope I test all the objectives with a micrometer slide for sharpness, contrast and astigmatism.
One interesting thing about NFKs is that they require the photo tube on a trinoc head to be shorter than provided to hit parfocality, so on one scope I had to mill the tube length down.

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Scarodactyl evinced an interest in the replacement process, so I will post a short article in Equipment Discussions.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic