Jamin-Lebedeff diatoms

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Brian Matsumoto

Jamin-Lebedeff diatoms

Post by Brian Matsumoto »

It's been several years since I last posted. I spent my time playing with either Jamin-Lebedeff interference contrast as well as a color Heine condenser. Both techniques have proved challenging and I thought the group may be interested in some of my efforts. Here are two diatom pictures taken with the Jamin-Lebedeff. One is of the diatom N. lyra and the other of Strictodiscus.
Strictodiscus
Strictodiscus
N. lyra
N. lyra

Scarodactyl

Re: Jamin-Lebedeff diatoms

Post by Scarodactyl »

Nice results! I think this is the first time I've seen the technique used for this type of imaging. Seems to give really nice results.

KarlGaff

Post by KarlGaff »

Beautiful images Brian! What a cool setup to have.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

These colour-contrast techniques often look somewhat smeared with colours barely relating to the feature(s) of the subject
That's certainly not the case here. Beautiful and crisp. It actually brings more clarity to the details too. I've never tried it, and probably never will, but I may have to re-evaluate my rather low opinion of this particular technique 😁

Very nicely presented.

Brian Matsumoto

Post by Brian Matsumoto »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:17 pm
Nice results! I think this is the first time I've seen the technique used for this type of imaging. Seems to give really nice results.
Thank you, My interest in Jamin-Lebedeff contrast was inspired by the work of Dr. Stephen Nagy. He had written a chapter for Diatoms: Fundamentals and Applications. At the time he wrote the chapter, he noted that this classic interference microscope was hard to obtain. There were few made and after Zeiss and Leitz discontinued their manufacture, they could only be bought on the used market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic