Snail tongues

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hart3d

Re: Snail tongues

Post by hart3d »

The parallel pair is very nice.
Do you mean a stereoscopic fly-by video? Alas I don't do instagram. Any chance to put it on youtube?
Thanks,
John

blepharopsis

Post by blepharopsis »

It isn't stereoscopic, unfortunately - but here it is! : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7cElfgoHuag

hart3d wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:50 pm
The parallel pair is very nice.
Do you mean a stereoscopic fly-by video? Alas I don't do instagram. Any chance to put it on youtube?
Thanks,
John

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! The motion fills in much of the 3D information that needs stereo in a static view.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Plum wonderful!

My favorite: the cross-eyed stereo pair. (If they are not cross-eyed, I've misunderstood them.)

--Chris S.

blepharopsis

Post by blepharopsis »

They are a relaxed eyed pair, sorry! :)
Chris S. wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:31 pm
Plum wonderful!

My favorite: the cross-eyed stereo pair. (If they are not cross-eyed, I've misunderstood them.)

--Chris S.

hart3d

Post by hart3d »

Cool video!
One can make a stereoscopic LR fly-by video from a mono fly-across video by simply lagging (or leading) the mono stream vs. itself (for purely lateral fly-across only, like some small parts of the one shown).
John
hart3d.com

blepharopsis

Post by blepharopsis »

Thank, John! Blender, the program I used to render the video, has a stereo rendering option I've never used. I should definitely explore it :)
hart3d wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:17 pm
Cool video!
One can make a stereoscopic LR fly-by video from a mono fly-across video by simply lagging (or leading) the mono stream vs. itself (for purely lateral fly-across only, like some small parts of the one shown).
John
hart3d.com

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

These are great! makes me want to put one in my SEM...read on here boiling in KOH or caustic solution also works? But if the radula is silica it might degrade? Not sure how I'll explain to the wife im boiling snails...

blepharopsis

Post by blepharopsis »

You may always claim that you're experimenting with an escargot recipe :) Boiling in KOH (or NaOH; I guess Drano would work) would definitely remove the soft tissue, but it might also affect the connective tissue the teeth are embedded in. It's pretty delicate and prone to warping. The radula is made of chitin, not silica, although metals like zinc can be present in some species. I guess that would make an interesting sample for X-ray spectral analysis!
houstontx wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:33 pm
These are great! makes me want to put one in my SEM...read on here boiling in KOH or caustic solution also works? But if the radula is silica it might degrade? Not sure how I'll explain to the wife im boiling snails...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic