diatom arrangement - Dunkirk, MD

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jaro95

diatom arrangement - Dunkirk, MD

Post by jaro95 »

Hi,
I recently started arranging diatoms. This is an arrangement with material from Dunkirk, MD I made a few weeks ago. With this one I am quite happy, even though there still are some minor problems...
I also gravely underestimated the number of shells it takes to fill a circle with 1.5 mm diameter... But all in all the result compensates for the hours and hours of concentration almost driving me mad... Hope you like it too :).

Best wishes,
Jan

75RR

Re: diatom arrangement - Dunkirk, MD

Post by 75RR »

Greatly admire the skill and patience required for such an arrangement. Well done!
Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The only problem I can see is that images won't load... odd, are they too big?
Opening in a new tab works! Beautiful arrangements. Are you open to selling and making single diatom mounts? There's some I'd love to have and photograph.
Reading some of your intagram descriptions, you're doing it without a micromanipulator? Wow! =D> =D> =D>

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 am
No, size is not the problem.

The problem occurs because of a combination of three things:
  • You are accessing the PMN forum using secure HTTPS.
  • Your browser is automatically upgrading the poster's HTTP image references to use HTTPS, because the main page is HTTPS.
  • The SSL certificate at https://inspiring-nature.com/ is not valid.
To make the difficulty more clear, do this: open the image in a new tab, observe that the URL is HTTP, then manually edit it to be HTTPS and try that. Depending on the browser, you'll receive some complaint like SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE (Firefox) or NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID (Edge, Chrome). Edge further explains that
Subject: invalid.de
Issuer: invalid.de
Expires on: Jun 23, 2012
Current date: Jul 1, 2021
If you want to see the images inline at photomacrography.net, you can downgrade the URL here to use insecure HTTP: http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43746

In an ideal world, somebody with influence will notify inspiring-nature.com of this difficulty, so that they can fix the broken certificate.

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:34 am
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 am
No, size is not the problem.

The problem occurs because of a combination of three things:
  • You are accessing the PMN forum using secure HTTPS.
  • Your browser is automatically upgrading the poster's HTTP image references to use HTTPS, because the main page is HTTPS.
  • The SSL certificate at https://inspiring-nature.com/ is not valid.
To make the difficulty more clear, do this: open the image in a new tab, observe that the URL is HTTP, then manually edit it to be HTTPS and try that. Depending on the browser, you'll receive some complaint like SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE (Firefox) or NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID (Edge, Chrome). Edge further explains that
Subject: invalid.de
Issuer: invalid.de
Expires on: Jun 23, 2012
Current date: Jul 1, 2021
If you want to see the images inline at photomacrography.net, you can downgrade the URL here to use insecure HTTP: http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43746

In an ideal world, somebody with influence will notify inspiring-nature.com of this difficulty, so that they can fix the broken certificate.

--Rik
Thanks for the explanation, I see the problem now and it's very clear.
I agree, the HTTPS issue needs to be resolved, ideally. HTTP is far more prone to nasties, and I've read somewhere before that HTTPS sites get a slight Google pagerank bump. Anyway, HTTPS is far more secure.

If he doesn't reply here, I'll see if an Intagram message works.

jaro95

Post by jaro95 »

Hi,
the SSL issue should be resolved now. The website has a new certificate. Can you see the images now?

Thanks also for the praise on the images. :) I indeed prepare my slides without a micromanipulator. At the moment I am not selling any slides but I might in the future.
I will also think about single diatom mounts and if I make some will let you know. Right now I am mostly doing bigger arrangements though.
Best wishes,
Jan

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

jaro95 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:31 am
Hi,
the SSL issue should be resolved now. The website has a new certificate. Can you see the images now?

Thanks also for the praise on the images. :) I indeed prepare my slides without a micromanipulator. At the moment I am not selling any slides but I might in the future.
I will also think about single diatom mounts and if I make some will let you know. Right now I am mostly doing bigger arrangements though.
Best wishes,
Jan
Yes, it's fixed!
Big arrangements or single diatoms, I'm up to it for sure. Concerning bigger arrangements, they are typically very expensive, for me at the moment at least. :)
I wonder what they look like under DIC and Phase Contrast. Getting adhesive that doesn't show up with the two contrast methods is very tricky. =D>

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I confirm that the certificate problem is fixed.

The images look great!

I cannot even imagine how many hours it took to nudge all these pieces into place, let alone the artistry of deciding what places to nudge them into.

--Rik

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice! What was the lighting and objective for the first one?

I am just now starting on diatoms, and the only strew slide I have is also from Dunkirk.

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

These things are so refreshingly oldfashioned. Timeless, opposite to all the modern visual garbage and quick fix nonsense!
Thanks for showing.

Fero

Post by Fero »

This is incredibly amazing, I always wondered how microscopists 150 years ago could make such nice arrangements, I guess even today it is close to a miracle to make such a nice arrangement. Would be really interested how this is done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic