Plocamium cartilagineum stichidia

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

micro_pix

Plocamium cartilagineum stichidia

Post by micro_pix »

These are images of stichidia on the red algae / seaweed Plocamium cartilagineum - a common seaweed on the UK coastline. In its tetrasporophyte form the seaweed produces male and female tetraspores in these stichidia structures. The tetraspores will grow in to the male and female gametophyte form of the plant which will produce cystocarps on the female and spermatangia on the male. The fertilised carpospores will then grow in to the tetrasporophyte form. I did read that the gametophyte and tetrasporophyte forms look similar and that the seaweed is mostly found in the tetrasporophyte form.

The images are taken with a 10x, and cropped 20x, objective on a full frame camera. The lobes of the stichidia are around 60 microns at their widest.

Dave
stichidia on the red seaweed Plocamium cartilagineum
2021-05-31-20.32.jpg

stichidia on the red seaweed Plocamium cartilagineum
2021-05-31-20.4e.jpg

Olympusman

Re: Plocamium cartilagineum stichidia

Post by Olympusman »

Nice stuff!

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks Mike.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Lovely! It's a long time ago since that name was familiar to me. Haven't seen it for decades.
--- felix filicis ---

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

Thank you for the reminder of a field course back in 1971 !!

Did you mount the alga on a slide?

Temporary or permanent mount?

Would like to remember the details from decades ago but memory fails and notes not found.

I do recall, I think, a glycerine mounting medium under cover glass ringed with bicycle tyre rubber glue. May be not. But the temporary mounts were good for a couple of decades at least. Might find them yet !!

Best, John

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks for the comments.
dolmadis wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:00 am

Did you mount the alga on a slide?

Temporary or permanent mount?

Would like to remember the details from decades ago but memory fails and notes not found.

I do recall, I think, a glycerine mounting medium under cover glass ringed with bicycle tyre rubber glue. May be not. But the temporary mounts were good for a couple of decades at least. Might find them yet !!

Best, John
Hi John,

Yes, it’s on a slide in water, under a coverslip and just compressed enough to get some separation, then I seal the edge with nail varnish just to stop the water evaporating too quickly while photographing. I’ve never tried permanent or even semi-permanent mounts - I do have some glycerine so I might have a go.

Dave

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Nice work! Beautiful dreamlike life form.
Just out of curiosity, why did you flip the image inbetween, just esthetic preference or what?
Cheers, Karl

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

ModelZ wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am
Nice work! Beautiful dreamlike life form.
Just out of curiosity, why did you flip the image inbetween, just esthetic preference or what?
Cheers, Karl
Thanks Karl.

If I remember correctly the crop was from the orientation of the original image and seemed to work. I wanted to use the full image in landscape but when I rotated it I wasn’t happy so I flipped it and I thought it looked better - so yes, aesthetic preference.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic