Short film: Heine Condenser on a modern microscope

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Short film: Heine Condenser on a modern microscope

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Hi,

I bought a Heine condenser, with an adaptor and a Dremel, I was able to mount it onto my Olympus BX microscope.

Here's the short film, featuring a nice, thick diatom.
https://youtu.be/_tecNY-yJNY

This condenser allows seamless transitioning between Oblique-brightfield, Phase Contrast, and Darkfield, very versatile. I see it as an indispensable tool for filming. The phase contrast effect is pretty unique as well, since the annular light is thinner than the objective's internal annulus.

Here's the diatom:

micro_pix

Re: Short film: Heine Condenser on a modern microscope

Post by micro_pix »

Nice demonstration! How does the phase and darkfield work with different objectives - are the stops and annuli adjustable?

Dave

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Short film: Heine Condenser on a modern microscope

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

micro_pix wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:48 am
Nice demonstration! How does the phase and darkfield work with different objectives - are the stops and annuli adjustable?

Dave
It uses some kind of special lens elements making the diameter of the condenser annulus projection adjustable by a large knob, which translates the elements inside the tube. So in theory, the condenser can be used with any phase contrast objective from any manufacturer as long as one can make the rings overlap and centred appropriately. Works with my 10x Ph1 with the immersion top detached (and subsequently Ph2 and Ph3 objectives), not sure about the 4x PhL ones designed for inverted microscopes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic