pitted fibre cells

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

iconoclastica

pitted fibre cells

Post by iconoclastica »

Yesterday I made myself a microtome based on the OPN microtome. I think it was someone here who pointed me to the original design a little while ago, but I can't find it back now. It turned out to be incredibly easy to make: two and a half minutes laser cutting time and glueing the thing together.

I tried just now how well it would work and I am amazed. Even if not perfect yet (on the first attempt), the results are better by classes than what I used to cut.

I made cross sections through the pinnae rachis of the fern Dryopteris cambrensis. It's about these that I do have a question:

the very first cut I made (20x)
the very first cut I made (20x)

sequence of sections (10x)
sequence of sections (10x)

Now zoom in to the dark cells in the rightmoset section:
detail of the rightmost section (40x)
detail of the rightmost section (40x)

I think these cells are in the process of being sklerified, that is: hardened into a fiber to support the construction of the plant. What I wonder about is what the tiny dots are, visible in some of the cells. Would it be transporting tissue, I'd say pits. But in a fiber cell that seems unlikely, or is it?

a lazy 100x (lazy, for I didn't apply the oil and I don't have a proper condenser for this anyway)
a lazy 100x (lazy, for I didn't apply the oil and I don't have a proper condenser for this anyway)

Any suggestions what these dots might be?
--- felix filicis ---

iconoclastica

Re: pitted fibre cells

Post by iconoclastica »

Sections are getting so thin now, I've got to stain them.
10x, stained with methylene blue
10x, stained with methylene blue
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic