Sphagnia fluoro

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ModelZ

Sphagnia fluoro

Post by ModelZ »

A view of some common moss from my yard. A splendid target for autofluorescence studies.
Done with DIYed fluoro to Reichert Universal & Zetopan factory epi. R. and Lomo glass, 10-40x. Both epi and DF with 395 & 365 nm leds, sometimes also visble light "painting" with a cardioid. All shortish stacks.

My first pic post here - hope these come out right.
Attachments
moss218-1.jpg
moss97-11.jpg
mozz311-1.jpg
moss169-1.jpg
mozz213-1.jpg
moss237-1.jpg

Saul

Re: Sphagnia fluoro

Post by Saul »

Impressive. What Lomo glass was used ?
Saul
μ-stuff

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Very nicely done!

Dave

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Beauties, but do you have any idea why some of the chloroplasts don't seem to be "turned on". Bleaching?

I thought "Royal Blue" was tradiitonal exciter, ~430nm, though I expect the difference would be quantitative only.
Chris R

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Fascinating fluorescence shots, well done!

ModelZ

Post by ModelZ »

Thanks to all for compliments & comments, I appreciate them.

Details:
Saul: Lomo 10/.4 and 30/.9 WI. Both bright and very much useable in basic fluoro. Latter is a bit finicky to use, razor thin dof, easier a bit stopped down.

ChrisR: Don't really know, could be various things. At the most active growth at the tip the chlrophyl is not yet active even when the chloroplast structures seem to be there. Elsewhere - could be age of the sample or damage. With DF fluoro it is easy to "fry" the sample and I try to use it very carefully. Especially a condenser with a toric lens is unusually efficient for a cardioid - needs restraint.
These here are autumn samples from Scandinavia, so perhaps some of the chloroplast have already let their chemicals go. It was a surprise for me to find out that some biologists (which I'm not) were still arguing what happens to chlorophyt before the leaves drop off. Some seemed to think that it as a complex and expensive molecule is stored somewhere in the stalk/trunk to wait for the spring. Most experts said that it is not the case, but it is just chopped up & recycled. Well, all I can say is that the stalk cross sections that I've seen don't glow in red (under UV, Violet, Royal Blue)...

-Karl

... and one more
Attachments
card20-4v1.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic