Natural diamonds, cross polarized light (black diamond add)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Linden.g

Natural diamonds, cross polarized light (black diamond add)

Post by Linden.g »

I was very surprised by the intensity of the birefringence in these natural micro diamond crystals. The colours could only be seen with an extra lambda plate. All images were focus stacks using an Olympus S-plan Apo 10x except for the stereograms which were S-plan 4x.

Last edited by Linden.g on Tue May 12, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

awesome, what was the source of the diamonds? Were these for cutting/grinding? Love all of them, too bad about that inclusion on the first one :evil:

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

houstontx wrote:awesome, what was the source of the diamonds? Were these for cutting/grinding? Love all of them, too bad about that inclusion on the first one :evil:
Thanks so much, they were bought on ebay and were listed as GH White colour VS clarity. Use wasn't specified.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Excellent images, Linden

Diamond belongs to the cubic system and therefore if well crystallized doesn't present birefringence, it may be due to strain although I think that it would show with cross polars without needing lambda plate

info here...
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... d_A_review
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely effect, lovely images!

I was thinking stress-induced birefringence also. (I assume that in this case "stress-" and "strain-" are two ways of saying the same thing?)

I notice especially that the defect in the first photo is surrounded by a whorl of color, and I'm thinking that's telling us something.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beautiful images :D though they remind me of shocked quartz in a way or maybe a ZZ Top album cover. :smt020 Wonder if they were the result of an impact somewhere near where they were gathered? But if they were the result of an impact, near could be several hundred or thousands of miles away. :-k

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Thank you for the appreciation, feedback and references. The birefringence is very weak under plan cross polarization. The crystals grow under extreme condition so perhaps its not too surprising they are highly internally stressed.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

rjlittlefield wrote:. (I assume that in this case "stress-" and "strain-" are two ways of saying the same thing?)
Stress is a force that the crystal experiences, strain is what happens in response to that force.

Olympusman

Diamonds

Post by Olympusman »

Interesting.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Nathan Renfro

Post by Nathan Renfro »

Nice photos . This strain birefringence is normal in diamonds. How big are these crystals? Diamonds are one of my favorite minerals to look at. In particular, their surfaces can be quite spectacular using epi DIC microscopy.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Really nice. Fascinating!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Scarodactyl wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:. (I assume that in this case "stress-" and "strain-" are two ways of saying the same thing?)
Stress is a force that the crystal experiences, strain is what happens in response to that force.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Some sources refer to "strain-induced birefringence"; other sources refer to "stress-induced birefringence". Are those not the same effect, described by two different terms?

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

At least in Geology stress is the cause and strain is the consequence of the applied stress, take a look at stress/strain curves. Stress is a directional pressure* while strain is deformation of the material, this is in the base of a whole scientific field: Tectonics.

Take a look at https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmope ... nd-strain/ for example

*non directional pressure does not cause strain.
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

rjlittlefield wrote:...Some sources refer to "strain-induced birefringence"; other sources refer to "stress-induced birefringence". Are those not the same effect, described by two different terms?
Yes, basically they are the same, although the terms stress and strain are not equivalent: the direct cause is strain but the cause of strain is stress
Pau

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Beautiful, beautiful colors! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Walter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic