Air bubbles revisited (pink anti-static foam in epi)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Air bubbles revisited (pink anti-static foam in epi)

Post by mtuell »

A little while ago, James posted a picture of the pink anti-static foam that circuit boards are sometimes packaged in. It was noted that some interference colors were observed. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33782

I had some of this same foam, so I looked at it with the BD epi system, with much more interference visible. First the pictures, then some discussion.

5x brightfield

5x darkfield and cross-eyed stereo

10x brightfield

10x darkfield

For the technical discussion, we have to start by understanding that open-cell foam is like soap bubbles that were "frozen solid", so are basically air bubbles with thin walls separating them. Of course, it isn't soap (a liquid crystal), but rather a polymer that solidified, with stresses, strains and stretches due to not completely uniform cooling and solidifying. I think they call it "open-cell" foam because it is mostly the "connective tissue", rather than a large number of cell walls that are present. Especially in 3D, you can see that there aren't too many walls intact.

The first thing you may notice is that certain regions have colors prominent in BF, while DF is in other places. Also, in many instances DF seems to be more vibrant. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the angles of incidence, with more reflectivity at higher angles, as well as simply having the light make it into the aperture at different illumination angles.

So, the question becomes, if we get interference fringes from the bubble walls, why does epi have apparently such an advantage in seeing the colors? Some may be attributable to Photoshop post-processing - I'm not sure what James did in that regard. But even with no difference there, the physics says episcopic illumination has an advantage here.

My little cartoon shows diascopic on the top, with the light coming from below, and episcopic on the bottom panel, with light coming from above. At first glance, they look fairly similar. The difference lies in the fringe contrast, which is maximum for two-beam interference when the intensities of the two beams are equal.

If we make the assumption that 5% is reflected and 95% transmitted (see Fresnel equations), what we have is approximately:

Diascopic: 5% loss at the bottom surface and 5% of 95% at the top surface. So, the black output beam is 90.25% of the incident light.

The red beam is 95% of 5% of 5% of 95% or 0.225625%. This is a terrible mismatch!

Episcopic: The black beam is simply 5%.

The red beam is 95% of 5% of 95%, or 4.5125%. This is almost a perfect match!

There are many other factors, angles of incidence, polarization, indices of refraction, diffraction and scattering, absorption, etc... but this gets the basic idea.

I'm guessing many people here already knew this, but I hope a couple of people were enlightened (and endarkened... interference after all :lol: ).

I should also point out that I've now put the larger versions, including parallel stereo and rocking on my site.

Mike

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Interesting!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... no photoshop or processing done on this 100% crop.

-JW:

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Yes, this is what I was talking about James. As Curt pointed out, you can see a hint of color towards the right side. It is very subtle because it is transmitted, rather than reflected light.

Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Makes sense Mike. Oil on a puddle of water is strongly coloured too - black background .
But maybe bubbles don't need it so much :?
Chris R

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Your explanation is correct, Mike. I took a video of soap films a couple years ago with reflected bright field. I tried transmitted and came to the same conclusion. I also tried epi DIC which give the same interference as reflected BF, but allows you to change the colors by adjusting the prism.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

I am enlightened, thank you Mike. I have observed the same in practice, with soap film.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Chris, while the appearance of the thin film can change with background, it is technically "visual contrast" if you will - "fringe contrast" has nothing to do with the background. If you had an oil film on mercury for example, instead of water, then the Fresnel reflection coefficient would change, and you would have to re-calculate the fringe contrast, but a bubble in air isn't affected per se by the background. However, it can change the perception and observed contrast, but not the fringe contrast.

It should also be noted that the effect is most strongly observed with a thin film, such as a sheet of oil on water, or a soap bubble. This is essentially due to the same reason that white-light interference microscopy has a very limited range that give good contrast fringes with distinct colors - lack of coherence in the white light. Thick films have multiple waves of OPD (optical path difference), so the colors all wash out in essence.

Thanks for all of your comments!
Mike

p.s. Steve thinks I should submit this to "Optics Picture of the Day", but I don't know if the pictures are that good or a particularly unique phenomenon... what do you guys think?

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Correct again, Mike. The reason thick films turn to a homogeneous pink 'mush' in white light is due to the higher order of interference. First order has distinct fringes and colors with sharp transitions in white light. As the order increases the contrast is reduced. By using monochromatic light we can enhance contrast and see fringes far into high orders.

Here is a video showing white light fringes of which we can make out about 6-7 orders. Once a narrow band filter is introduced (at 0:25 time) fringes are visible into high orders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a787e6wQ2Y

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Here is the 5x BF and DF combined 50% opacity of the BF on top of DF in Photoshop. Looking at them individually, we see that there isn't actually much overlap in where the colors appear between the two, so this gives the most coverage.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic