Fluorescence microscopy

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Nezza

Fluorescence microscopy

Post by Nezza »

I briefly used a fluorescence microscope at work an thought it had the potential to make some interesting images. Here are a couple I created at home using acridine orange, a 545nm laser as the light source and a 500nm blocking filter.Image

René

Post by René »

Cheek cells? It works well!

Best wishes, René

Nezza

Post by Nezza »

Yup. Nice bacteria laden cheek cells. The bacteria fluoresce bright orange and human cells fluoresce green.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Interesting

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Very interesting, could you post more details of your home setup?

545nm is green and the human cells also show green, could it be possible that they are just being illuminated by the laser (some kind of dark field illumination?) and not fluorescing like the bacteria?
Pau

Nezza

Post by Nezza »

Sorry. my mistake. It was a 445nm laser I used as the light source. The laser was used to illuminate the slide from the side. I will post a picture of the setup I used. My next strategy will be to use a beam expander and try dark ground illumination.

Nezza

Post by Nezza »

Here are a couple of pictures of the setup I used. The laser is on a tripod to the side of the microscope just above the level of the slide giving a very oblique light. I have tried using a beam expander and dark ground condenser but the light level achieved is too low to work well. The laser is a 445nm blue laser running at about 30-50mW with a lens as a beam expander and I use a 500nm blocking filter. The reason for using a laser is that the beam is monochromatic and intense and the blocking filter gets rid of all of it. a 450nm LED would have some light overspill above 500nm.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Nice photos, Nezza. Thank you for sharing.

I am surprised to hear that your laser and darkfield condenser did not produce enough fluorescence light. With a normal light source about as wide as field aperture (open all the way up), darkfield condenser should produce sufficient light (more so than incident oblique light). If you reduce light source width by closing down field aperture (or shrinking light beam diameter), darkfield light will eventually disappear (when it falls inside darkfield condenser's internal stop size).

Was you laser beam wide enough for your darkfield condenser to work? Is your darkfield condenser of cardioid type or paraboloid type (paraboloid type may need wider light cone, though even cardioid darkfield condenser need a certain beam width that goes beyond its internal stop size).

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Nezza

please don`t take it amiss and forget my sermon if you are experienced with this stuff, but with this kind of set up you are very prone to damaging your eyes!! Beware of reflections from the slide. I would seriously suggest the use of a protection shield and do remove the condensor as well (reflections!)

Kind regards

Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic