Latest homemade diatom circle

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Latest homemade diatom circle

Post by Beatsy »

Still getting the hang of preparing, selecting and mounting diatoms but I'm quite pleased with this latest result.

I got a few air bubbles, the distribution is somewhat uneven, and I used a few damaged frustules by mistake. Three broke free from the fixative during mounting and floated away too. As they were still visible under the coverslip I imaged them separately and Photoshopped them back into place. Bit of a cheat, I know, but hey...

So a partial failure really; but better than my first attempts and all part of the learning experience. Onward...

Circle is 1.3mm diameter. Fossil diatoms, Oamaru, N.Z. mounted in zrax. Imaged using 5d MkII on a Zeiss ICM 405 with a 10x PlanApo. Brightfield illumination, a stitch of 4 tiles, each tile a focus stack of 20-25 images.

Particularly happy about the even background illumination. That's straight off the camera - no photoshop involved. I spent some time tweaking the Koehler illumination for "near perfection" recently and it's really paid off. Makes mosaicing of images a breeze now.

BJ

Post by BJ »

Excellent

how do you have the patience (and skill!) ?

regards

Brian

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very impressive, both the skill to create the circle (I'm sure we can all forgive a bit of honestly admitted Photoshopery :wink: ) and the photography. I have photographed a few circles of this sort using darkground, but I know from experience getting a really nice bright field image such as yours, evenly illuminated, is a real challenge. Congratulations. :D I would be interested to hear how you are manipulating the diatoms, do you have a micro-manipulator? Also what type of microscope and photography setup are you using?
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

René

Post by René »

HDR on the camera?

Very nice results!

Best wishes, René

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Great classic work!. I've allways admired the skills and patience of diatom mounters.
Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks all for your encouraging comments. To answer your questions...

BJ - no patience needed when you enjoy the task. As for skill, they say it takes 10,000 hours to truly master something - so I've >9,000 to go yet!

René - no in-camera HDR on 5d MkII. Just nice flat illumination that fills the dynamic range of the sensor with 1/3rd stop to spare at each end of the histogram (in this case).

Cactusdave - Zeiss ICM 405 & 5d MkII in "live view" (EFSR) mode to avoid vibration. Micromanipulator is a mechanical stage clamped sideways on a Zeiss StereoZoom (8-40x & 16-80x with aux lens). A straightened out paper clip holds the glass needles made from "pulled" 2mm melting-point capillary tubes. The stage x control provides fine up/down and "pushing" movement; the slide is moved by hand for coarse positioning. Surprisingly accurate once you get the knack. Equipment pics attached...

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D :smt038 :smt038 :smt041 :smt041
WOW!
This is great.
Nice job.
Thanks for sharing.
=D>

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Fantastic in anyway :shock:
Arturo

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

That's a fantastic microscope setup. A great big solid beast, but beautiful. I bet it weighs a ton. I enjoyed your article on how you acquired the microscope. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... zeiss.html
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Amazing!

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

A work of art!! :smt041 :smt041

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

Really well done. I like it a lot. You should start selling these slides.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

pwnell wrote:Really well done. I like it a lot. You should start selling these slides.
Good suggestion. I just listed the MkII circle pictured at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=23311

I got my enjoyment from the making and photographing. It's sat untouched in a box ever since, so it may as well go. It won't make anything like enough to cover the time taken at any reasonable hourly rate, but that time is already "spent" and I'm curious to know the market price for such a thing.

Ebay item 331207778805 if anyone else wants to watch.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Congratulations on the price your fantastic circle finally achieved. It may not have given you a huge return in £ per hour but it is recognition of a rare talent and an extraordinary piece of work. :D

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Dave. I was utterly gobsmacked at the price! Well chuffed and will definitely make more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic