Rotifers and Paramecia around a small air bubble

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

billporter1456

Rotifers and Paramecia around a small air bubble

Post by billporter1456 »

Sometimes, when watching the creatures in a drop of pond water, I like to fantasize about what they are doing. I noticed a small air bubble with Rotifers racing around it. I imagined that the air bubble was a "Rotifer race track." Then I saw 3 Paramecia "take over" the air bubble. Of course, there was no real collaboration among the Paramecia. Or was there? I'll leave that question for your imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QKPE5jhyug

Olympusman

paramecia

Post by Olympusman »

Interesting. Those are the most patient paramecia I have ever seen. Also, this is the second video posted recently that shows a paramecia "rubbing" behavior.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

billporter1456

Re: paramecia

Post by billporter1456 »

Olympusman wrote:Interesting. Those are the most patient paramecia I have ever seen. Also, this is the second video posted recently that shows a paramecia "rubbing" behavior.
As for the patience of the Paramecia, keep in mind the video is running at 4 times normal speed. So they are being really patient! Also, although pretty new to the microscopy hobby, I have noticed "rubbing" behavior in Paramecia quite a few times. Maybe it serves some function? Thanks for watching!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic