Uroleptus

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Uroleptus

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Uroleptus.

Wim

[size=0]
[/size]
Last edited by Wim van Egmond on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Stunning image Wim! Lots to look at - clearly defined nucleus next to a contractile vacuole. The adoral zone of membranells are very reminiscent of a Euplotes sp. (a problem in identification for me back in November 06).

Looking at the animals left hand row of ventral cirri (on right as you look at the image) is that a secondary row of fused cirri just to their right - sort of pointing backwards - or is it a row of cilia?

Great image :smt023

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Arrrrrgh! :shock: You beat me to it Wim. :lol: I was just going to post one but yours looks so much better than mine and besides I am not sure if it is Uroleptus anyway :roll: Fantastic shot(s) Wim =D>

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, since Wim is getting into panels, I'll spill some more beans.

It turns out that if you bracket the img tags with size=0 tags, then the rows of light gray pixels disappear too, so the picture appears to be one single tall image.

Code: Select all

[size=0]
[img]http://...top.jpg[/img]
[img]http://...bottom.jpg[/img]
[/size]
But don't tell anybody I told you so, OK? :wink:

Nice pics, Wim! :D

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thanks guys! I've tried the trick Rik, but I still see a thin line. But perhaps it depends on the browser you use :)

Don't spil any beans over my pictures. And do post your images, Ken. The forum is not about who is making the best images!

Bruce, I am not sure which cilia you mean. This organism has all kinds of modified cilia. That's why it is always nice to photograph these hypotrichs. I have some mor eimages, perhaps this image can make things clearer. It is a combination of two shots. The one above and one with slightly higher focus. The fused broader types are cirri used for walking.

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim van Egmond wrote:I've tried the trick Rik, but I still see a thin line. But perhaps it depends on the browser you use :)
Probably. I tested only with IE 6.0, Netscape Navigator 7.1, and Firefox 1.5, all on Windows XP. What's your environment?

Stunning shots, BTW. DIC?

--Rik

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Two more terrific images Wim (so I'm real glad I asked the question) :D

Yes I've watched them "walking" over the various detritus on the slide - fascinating!

As to my earlier question, looking at Pic1 of the new images You can see 3 obvious rows of cirri (fused cilia used for walking) showing as rows of large dots in the image. Now, between the top and the middle row of cirri (dots) there is a fainter row of backward facing (what could be) cirri or unmodified cilia.

I was just asking if they were unmodified cilia or another row of fused "walking" cirri - seen from another angle maybe. Having viewed these additional pics, I guess they are more likely to be a forth row of cirri used for walking.

Thanks again for the extra pics. :D

Bruce

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I use Safari in OS X.

The images were made with DIC. 25X obj I think. :)

Wim

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Bruce, now I see which you mean:) I am not sure of they are used for walking. They seem more like the thin ones you see at the top. They don't project as far as the walking cirri I think. Perhaps they have a sensory function?

Just guessing. Should see if I can find info on the web.

Wim

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Wim and Rik,

By way of a tryout, I edited my Plate of Jurassic crinoid "Pentacrinites fossilis" posting to include Rik's SIZE parameter. It worked perfectly apart from the fact that I had originally signed each "panel" so the result looks a bit peculiar with 3 signatures :lol:

There is a faint line JUST visble between the panels - but you have to look real hard. I use IE7.

Bruce

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, it now absolutely clear that the image is yours, Bruce! :)

In my browser the line is about a millimeter, but it is a bit smaller than it was.

Wim

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Very nice Wim! :D
Mac user? 8)
Image is OK for me on IE, Opera and Firefox.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Sorry, I omitted to say.... your merged image looks perfect without even a thin line visible in my browser.

Bruce

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, I work on a Mac. My first computer was an old one from a friend and when you've tried a Mac once it is difficult to switch to windows:)

But I have tried to open the page in Internet explorer and than I don't see the gap!

Wim

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

There was a commercial, from Oracle I guess, - "Shut all your windows and relax!" :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic