More diatoms

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwnell

More diatoms

Post by pwnell »

All taken with UPlanFL N 40x/0.75 except the DIC image which was UPlanSApo 40x/0.95. All images had an additional 2x magnification from the magnification changer, and are cropped slightly.

I purchased these diatoms from Klaus Kemp in the UK. I am sure many of you know his excellent work.

Bright field

Dark field

Phase contrast

DIC

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Some nice images there. The resolution is excellent, especially in the DIC picture.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Waldo, nice quality images.
Cactusdave wrote:Some nice images there. The resolution is excellent, especially in the DIC picture.
Dave, in the posted pictures I don't see more resolution but a more pleasing look (very subjective) of the DIC one over the others, just the Phase one has a bit less resolution (as expected because the phase rings are smaller than the maximun objective aperture, lowering the actual NA). Look at the finer dots of Stauroneis
Pau

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

Here is the best I could do with my UPlanSApo 60x/1.35 objective * 1.6 magnification changer and some cropping of the aspect ratio, DIC and oil, 46 images stacked using Zerene Stacker in DMap mode:

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

You are right Pau. There isn't more 'actual' resolution in the DIC image compared with the darkfield image. The DIC effect gives (to me at least) a better visual perception of detail.

Waldo, that last image with the Planapo lens is very nice indeed. To stack images at this magnification requires a very steady hand on the fine focus (unless of course you are lucky enough to have motorised fine focus :) )and it is easy to get stacking artifacts, especially halos.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic