Nebela collaris

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Nebela collaris

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Ocular: Zeiss KPL-W 10/18
Objective:Leitz 25/0.55 ICT NPL Fuotar
Substage: Leitz 0.9NA ICT
Sample from Monkmead Woods, West Chiltington, West Sussex, UK
15 images Zerene Stacker

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

It might be Nebela tincta, but the distinction between both species is arbitrary. An important characteristic is the presence of two lateral pores just above the neck (=N. tincta).

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Thanks for this -

According to the FBA guide* Nebela tincta should be yellow (maybe there is hint of yellow in the image?)and partially overlain with a smooth layer of organic cement. The Guide also mentions in respect of Nebela collaris that "Many surveys combine the species with N. bohemica Taranek. On balance I felt N. collaris was more probable than N. tincta. I think the two features in the image below may be pores, but they are lower down the test from the pseudostome than in the Guide's illustrations:

*Guide to the identification of Soil Protozoa - Testate Amoeba, Clarke, K.J., Freshwater Biological Association 2003
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

Hi Graham,

The color isn't very characteristic. Your arrows don't indicate pores. Pores should be on the very edge of the shell, at 1/3 from the mouth:

You can compare http://www.arcella.nl/nebela-tincta with http://www.arcella.nl/nebela-collaris.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

OK, thanks - if I find another, I'll try some new images...
Graham

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Wonderful work. Are the pores for water circulation?

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

We don't know what function they have. Some species have pores at the fundus, some have two, others have up to ten, depending upon the depth of the water.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic