the diatom: Ditylum brightwellii + my planktonnet

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

the diatom: Ditylum brightwellii + my planktonnet

Post by Franz Neidl »

This is the marine diatom Ditylum brightwellii. It was 295 µm long (together with the two prolongations).

DIC, obj. 40x
obj. 20Ph x, crop

Franz

Last edited by Franz Neidl on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Your plankton images are amazing Franz. I am curious how you capture them in your net. Do you have a picture of the net? Do you go out in a boat? And finally, how to you remove them from the net? Can you even see them in the end of the net?

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Mitch wrote:
Your plankton images are amazing Franz. I am curious how you capture them in your net. Do you have a picture of the net? Do you go out in a boat? And finally, how to you remove them from the net? Can you even see them in the end of the net?

Hello Mitch,
as answer I send you some pictures.
In the first picture you see my plankton-net. Nothing special, but instead of the usual metal-can I have a plastic tap (which is used in Italy to fill the vine in bottles). During "fishing" the tap is closed.
You see also that on the plastic tap I hav a lead-wire. This part has to be a little bit heavier when the net is in the water.
After "fishing" I rins the net with the wash bottle you see (in my case with seawater). The tap is now open.
The last picture is from the plastic-tap, but you can also use other material. There is no limit for your phantasy.
I dont go out in a boat but a use a 4m long telescopic rod on wich is pending my planktonnet.

I wish you a good hunting
Franz

[/quote]

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Your net seems to work very well. So with the pole, you can dip from a pier or even the rocks along shore? Keep up the good hunting, cause your images are always amazing. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic