Fritillaria borealis (Appendicularia)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

Fritillaria borealis (Appendicularia)

Post by Franz Neidl »

Appendicularians are planktonic tunicates. Their body consist of a short trunk (head) and a tail. Fritillaria borealis is a hammer-headed species and not so big as its relativ Oikopleura dioica.
James Fraser is writing about the appendicularia: "They are rather jelly-like creatures that look too simple to be placed so high in order, but which are not so simple as they look" (in: Nature adrift. The Story of Marine Plankton, London 1962, p. 76).
The Head of Fritillaria was 350 µm long and the tail 950 µm.
3 pictures in DIC and Phase-contrast, Obj. 10x and 20x.

Franz

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

You perform a photo

René

Post by René »

Wow Franz, you're really able to show us the rarest of species... I have seen Fritillaria only few time. And when lugol-preserved I agree they look like straight from a horror movie, but at least it is identifiable ;-)

(lugol preserved, stained with Rose Bengal, Olympus 20x/0.75 IMT-2 inverted

Would love to see the tunicates within their housing, but those are so fragile only few of us are lucky enough to ever see that...

Best wishes, René

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,

Another beauty!

You certainly have been finding some fascinating creatures, and doing a great job at photographing them!

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Franz,

truly brilliant photos - thank you!

From the shape of the end of the tail (pointed), I think that this is Fritillaria aberrans.

Fritillaria borealis has a broad forked end to the tail (a bit like a "w").

As a botanist, of course I object to any animal being called Fritillaria..the real ones are much more attractive!

You are continuing to find and photograph some wonderful organisms..I wonder how many different phyla you have shown us.

thank you once more !
Brian

[/i]

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I can't wait to get done with my chores for the day so I can log in and see what Franz brought us to look at. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic