Ghostly spider??

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Ghostly spider??

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Ocular: Zeiss KPL-W 10/18
Objective: Zeiss 1.6/0.03 - 5/0.1
Crossed polarisers
Panorama mosaic of 9 images/MS ICE

The identity of the specimen eludes me beyond being an arachnid - can anyone decipher the slide label? (I think it's Trombidium, which makes it a spider mite) -

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Nice image Graham. Where do you guys find these ancient slides? :)

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Mitch - in the mid 1970s, one of my father's friends died and, knowing my scientific interests, left me his microscopes, microscope books and slide collection. He had been an antique dealer and had managed to build up a collection of a few hundred slides, many of them nineteenth century.

I recently catalogued the slides - you can find the index with a slowly accumulating set of pictures at http://www.micromagus.net
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Do they all have dates and a history?

These things have to be a priceless treasure.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Some are dated, some are not. Some are by known makers, some are anonymous. This mite slide only has the one label, as shown above, so not a lot to go on. Many are in good condition, but some are the worse for time. You can often pick up old slides on eBay - CactusDave seems to be very successful in acquiring interesting slides.
Graham

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very interesting use of polarised light illumination. I've not come across a nice hairy spider mounted in a way to allow me to try this out myself. I'm very impressed with the result.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic