2.19 gigapixel - Halyomorpha halys

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

curt0909

2.19 gigapixel - Halyomorpha halys

Post by curt0909 »

Hi everyone. My name is Curt. I've actually been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first time posting. Thanks for having me. I want to say thanks to Rik for Zerene Stacker and Charles for some excellent posts and articles that helped me get started in this hobby. -Curt

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=540 ... 8f5a361f35

Technically its 1.1 gigapixels mirrored laterally

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks good!

I was hearing just a few days ago about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, from some friends in the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture.

Apparently it's going to become quite a problem for them.

What are your interests in the beast? And what sort of setup are you using to photograph it?

--Rik

DQE

Post by DQE »

Thanks for the link to your remarkable synthesized photo.

It would be great to learn more about how you obtained the images used to create this photos - do you have a link to your photo rig, etc?

I enjoyed roaming around the photo at the link provided - a different approach to the usual static 2D photos we normally work with in macro forums.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Phil, on second look I realized that there's quite a bit more information about the setup in the description block at bottom of page. I missed it the first time because I didn't think to scroll down.

--Rik

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Bummer, I can't see it. Why would Microsoft make anything new that can't run on 64bit?

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Thanks Rik and DQE. Mitch, it gave me some trouble also but after some searching I was able to get it to work on my 64bit machine by editing the permissions in registries.

Rik, if they hit Oregon as badly as they hit PA your friends have reason to be worried. They didn't have the numbers this year that they had last year. They cause millions of dollars in damage to orchards. Very few predators, the skunk is the only one I'm aware of.

But I chose the stink bug out of convenience. After a small success shooting a 120 megapixel panorama of a grasshopper a few months ago I wanted to try a higher magnification and a much larger end image. I chose the stink bug for a few reasons. They're plentiful in Pittsburgh. As the weather cools they're drawn to homes to stay warm. They're small, which helped keep the size of the image manageable. This specimen was smaller than a penny. Lastly they're relatively flat which is helpful with focus stacking and merging. I originally started shooting with a 2x teleconverter but after using over 100 megapixels on the head alone I decided to cut my losses and reattempt without the tc. I'll post that image when I get a chance. There was a lot of trial and error involved. I'll post a photo of the set up when I have some time.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I had no problems using Photosynth with 64bit Windows 7. I use Photosynth regularly to host panoramas and large images and like it.

Impressive panorama, I just can't believe how far you can zoom into it. Very interested to read about your technique too. I understand why you haven't tried to remove the halos on the completed image, you need a lot of ram and a very fast machine to work with these gigabyte images full size in Photoshop. You might consider de-haloing a downsized image though, or de-haloing the relevant stack outputs before stitching.

I guess making an image by duplicating one half and flipping is OK if your subject is really symmetrical. It wouldn't work for me making panoramas of stacked images from a microscope slide preparation. Those old mounts I use are just never wholly symmetrical.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

DQE

Post by DQE »

Thanks to Rik's note, I benefited from scrolling down and seeing the technical info about the photo.

Surely a 1 Gigapizel image from almost 3000 photos is the new world record!

Using Firefox 7.0.1 and Win7 64-bit, I was able to zoom and scroll, etc, fluently and without issues. It worked even more enjoyably when I placed the browser and the photosynth site options into "full screen mode", enabling me to use almost all of the real estate of my monitor on the image.

I really do enjoy this interface for this type of image. Being able to quickly and smoothly zoom in and out is very helpful.

What is this viewing software doing with respect to zooms? Does it on demand automatically reinterpolate the original master image set so as to provide maximum or maximum viewable detail to the user's monitor? That's what it feels like but I'm of course just guessing. No need to respond - I just need to read the photosynth site info, of course.
-Phil

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Ah, success. I was able to download the silverlight.exe, then it installed normally, instead of letting windows dumb it down and do it itself.

Very nice. :)

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Mitch640 wrote:Bummer, I can't see it. Why would Microsoft make anything new that can't run on 64bit?
Conversation at a recent technical conference:

Chris: I'm running Win764 bit now, very pleased with it. Looked at the IE10 preview... puzzled that IE9 32bit is the default on Win7 64bit, why is that?
MS engineer: You can set the 64bit version as your default if you want
Chris: Why doesn't it ship like that though?
MS engineer: *ahem* silverlight *ahem*

DQE

Post by DQE »

Just in case it might help someone:

I am running Win7 64-bit.

With Firefox v7.0.1 and the Silverlight add-on, v4.0.60831.0. I can see and manipulate the Photosynth image linked above.

Hope this helps. There are alternatives to IE, which I also run for those occasional instances where I can't get Firefox to function effectively.
-Phil

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

After I downloaded and installed the Silverlight .exe, I was able to see it in both IE 9 64bit and Firefox 64 bit. My problem was, When I went to the page linked above, the nag screen said I was running 64 bit and would not even let me click on the button.

Once I downloaded and installed it manually, both browsers worked fine. Silverlight is a Windows app, it's not browser specific.

DQE

Post by DQE »

Mitch640 wrote:After I downloaded and installed the Silverlight .exe, I was able to see it in both IE 9 64bit and Firefox 64 bit. My problem was, When I went to the page linked above, the nag screen said I was running 64 bit and would not even let me click on the button.

Once I downloaded and installed it manually, both browsers worked fine. Silverlight is a Windows app, it's not browser specific.
Not really sure how all these things work together, but the optional Firefox SIlverlight add-on somehow makes Silverlight images, etc, work within a Firefox tab. Otherwise, I think I'd have to view it from IE, which I assume has Silverlight built-in or otherwise enabled.

Isn't SIlverlight both a standalone viewer as well as an optional browser add-on?

Just commenting off the top of my head - haven't looked into all this in great detail.
-Phil

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

CactusDave, I have a custom machine I built earlier this year. I have an intel i5 2500k sandybridge processor overclocked to 4.6gHz. I could use more ram. With my current system I can edit small changes on the full image without lag. Changes to a large selection do take some time for processing. This insect isn't really symmetrical. You can see the wing on the posterior is not correct. I'll have to go through my original photos and see if I have the photos to graft the right section of the wing on the photo.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Isn't SIlverlight both a standalone viewer as well as an optional browser add-on?
Silverlight is a Windows app. Being part of Windows, browsers are coded to use it. So each browser builder writes the code so his browser can use the app built into Windows, or not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic