rotifers movie in 3D

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

rotifers movie in 3D

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I have uploaded a little test movie in vimeo. The 3D was created by adding red and blue filters in the condenser of the microscope.

When viewed on the page the 3D effect is a bit distorted. When I download the file it works better.

This is the link

http://vimeo.com/29657700

Wim

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I watched it without glasses. Are those small things baby rotifers? I have never seen so many. Actually, I have never seen that species either.

I have been meaning to buy some 3D glasses, and your video has made me order some. Now I can't wait till they get here, to watch the video again. :)

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you Mitch, I hope the 3D will work,

No, they are all different species. They were collected with the plankton net so that's why they are concentrated.

I think you can onlu download the movie when you have a vimeo account. I don;t have much sever space left, ortherwise I would upload it myself.

Wim

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I have two websites hosted here at GoDaddy, and even though each one has 5Gb of space, I could never host many video files there. Video is way too large, so I use YouTube. I know exactly what you mean.

I have also been doing many more videos through the microscope than stills these days. Video just shows so much more about the bug than any still ever could. I've really been enjoying yours and Charles' videos. Your quality is very good. So keep making them. :)

Starshade

Post by Starshade »

3d movie through a microscope is such a cool idea, the only thing I wish you could do is using any contrasting techniques, I doubt DIC gonna work with you setup but theoretically I think it's possible, just the microscope designers are unlikely to be interested in that.

Thanks for sharing, gonna check out 3d when I get glasses

And by the way it's not difficult to download videos from youtube and vimeo, there's software and online services just the video will be 100% similar to what you see online and another possibility of blurring is that you might be using zoom in browser (like having 120% instead of 100%)

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

This method only works in brightfield but when you use a stereo microscope it is possible to create darkfield. But the magnification will not be as high as with this trick. DIC will not work well.

I will try to upload a high res version somewhere.

Wim

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

My 3D glasses should be in the mail box today. :)

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

My glasses did arrive on Friday and I watched the movie. I did see an apparent 3D effect, but it was not exactly what I expected. Of course, I didn't know what to expect, as I have only seen one 3D movie when I was a kid, in the 50's, and all I remember is, the glasses did not seem to work for me, while others seemed to be pretty impressed with it.

When I joined the service, I had to do the colorblind test, and it was determined then, that I was partially color blind, although I forget which color now. And of course, they don't tell you much anyway.

So, this morning, I took an online test and the rule is, you have to see a number in under 3 seconds. Some of those took me much longer than 3 seconds and I had to guess at some. Then I took a color hue test and failed it abysmally.
So while I could see some effect, it seems the big bugs showed more 3D effect and the small ones, much less. Probably an inconclusive test from me. On the other hand, I did look online at some other 3D videos and saw no 3D at all in them.

René

Post by René »

Hmm, I know the feeling about colorblind, Mitch. Fortunately the traffic lights pose no problem for me. In any case, it wouldn't matter for this video, the trick is that the red-blue glasses filter before it reaches the eye!

Nice try Wim, great idea! BTW, the vimeo worked ok for me, but will wait for a higher res version from you to check for any differences.

So what's next, use of polaroids, 2 cameras and 3D movies in the cinema??
Have you actually tried darkfield with a central stop and red and blue at the side? Just curious.

Best wishes, René

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Ah, I think I have found the secret. I was sitting way to close for the glasses to work right apparently, so the secret is, watch it full screen and get way back, like half way across the room. Now it looks great. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic