Female human flea

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Female human flea

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard
Objective: Leitz 16/0.45 ICT NPL Fluotar
Substage: Leitz ICT 0.9NA
77 tile mosaic stitched from stacked images

This is a low resolution image, for an idea of the full size image, see this tour:

http://youtu.be/QsHbS8LLIYs
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very impressive image. I know how tricky it is to do these high shutter count stack and stitches, particularly using higher magnification objectives above X10. The video gives a much better idea of how much detail is 'hidden' in these images and is an interesting alternative way to present them I hadn't considered. How deep were the individual stacks? There must be a very large number of actual individual images in this composite.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Wow, excellent, Graham!

Parts do remind me of photos of the moon's surface.
Was that done with oblique illumination?

--Betty

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Betty - the image was taken using DIC (ICT in "Leitz-speak"), hence the pseudo-3D effects
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Excellent work on the image and the video. It looks like the steamroller got him first though. :)

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Mitch640 wrote:It looks like the steamroller got him first though. :)
Always the case, that's why they make excellent photos, in the right hands of course.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Graham,

Very nice work! A question on the video though. What software did you use for displaying/zooming and recording the image as a movie? I've used Zoomify in the past but this is much smoother and faster, and as I recall, Zoomify can't record anything.

Tom

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

The video capture was done using Total Recorder VideoPro (see http://www.totalrecorder.com ). This enables onscreen capture from a defined window. Under Windows 7 one can save in MPEG4 format. I also used Total Recorder for capturing audio when I digitised my LP collection. Display and zooming/panning of the image used the Picasa viewer.

CactusDave asked how many images per stack - variable, but mostly around 9. The original images were shot at 4752x3168 pixels, but resized for the stack and stitch to 2500x1667 and dustmap filtered using Helicon Filter (this is why I keep hassling Rik about adding a dustmap facility in Zerene). This was my first serious attempt at a large stack & stitch image and the overlaps for the "tiles" were not quite enough to use MS ICE comfortably, so although MS ICE did quite a bit of the work, I had to complete the job manually using cloning.
Graham

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

gpmatthews wrote:(this is why I keep hassling Rik about adding a dustmap facility in Zerene)
It's not hassling; you're just gently reminding me of the importance and value of this highly desired new feature. :roll: Noted and appreciated! :D

--Rik

Perl

DIC

Post by Perl »

Graham !

Picuture is very nice - But DIC effect not so strong :lol:

Best Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Pär - DIC effect is OK at x16, but as you say not so strong - uniform illumination is a problem with the 16ICT objective - I think this is the extreme lower end of the condenser's abilities.
Graham

Perl

Post by Perl »

Yes Graham !

Agree to that - Have A setup
where i chance the ICT Objectices
agains POL Objectives with DIC Sliders
Much better ( More adjustable )

But this is not Leitz Standard DIC Setup
more like the one on Reichert Zetopan

And it give more option of mag / Objectives
and are more easy to work with

Regards