Summit Disease Revisited Pt 3, Ants

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Summit Disease Revisited Pt 3, Ants

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well here are closing shots of the infection as it appears in some ants, in my area of the world, unless I just happen to run across something a bit more unusual. These show the fruiting body of the fungi and the fungal hyphae where it has ran its course over the body of the ant. Please take note that these subjects have been on the substrates for a very long period of time before these shots were taken and have been subjected to the climatic conditions of the area. :D

This last image is a close up of the spore bearing structure of the fungi as it rises from the back of the ants head. It may appear as though it is rising up out of the ant itself but a closer look shows that it rises actually from the hyphae itself, surrounding the ant (first image). All images taken at various magnifications using the Meiji EMZ-13TR with built in 6VDC halogen illuminator with a blue diffuser, Post Processing was accomphished using Photo Impact 6.
:D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Boy, that fungus must really attach the Victim to the branch. I wonder why some insects succumb and others do not. Immune systems not up to par? I also wonder if there are any spores left in the fruiting body (hint)? Clearly right out of science fiction :shock: Excellent photos Ken :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug asked:
wonder if there are any spores left in the fruiting body (hint)?
Already in the works Doug, should, if all goes well, be ready for post tomorrow.
I wonder why some insects succumb and others do not.
According to that video, there is a species of ascomycete for, what seems to be, if I understood it correctly, different species of insects. So it just appears, I am assuming, that some insects get it and some don't, it is just that maybe the ascomycete for something other than ants and that hopper, may not be in my area at this time. :-k This is a good time to go looking for insects that have been infected and have died clinging to branches, limbs, tall grasses, and such, since the summer foliage has all died back. Come summer it will be a challange to find them with so much in the field of view...like SPIDERS! :shock: A few of them could stand a dose of spores too. :lol:

You know there are numerous ants hanging all over the place around here that have died from the infection. I never would have noticed how many there actually were if it had not been for this topic being brought up by your first post on it. I am surprised that there are as many live ants as there is around here. The Dogwood trees look more like ant Christmas trees, with so many of the little critters hanging off of them. :lol: Anyway this gives me something to pass the winter with, since seeking out infected insects will be quite easy and also affords me the opportunity to get out and get a little exercise, though the neighbors may have their suspicions about me snooping around in the bushes with a hand lens. :lol:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Some REALLY interesting photos here and in your earlier postings too. Will certainly keep my eyes peeled for evidence of similar infections.

Bruce

ps: Have been without my PC for a WHOLE DAY (symptoms: restless pacing, irritableness, shaking fingertips, nervous twitch...). Had to replace the PSU (could it have been victim to a parasitic fungus?)

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bruce asked:
(could it have been victim to a parasitic fungus?)
Well not likly but probable, depending on the climate that one lives in. Fungal growths can occur, I believe, in warm humid tropical environments. :-k Hey, thanks Bruce. :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wow... when you look at the world through a microscope, science fiction movies become real!

"Aliens" had nothing on reality!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Charlie said:
Wow... when you look at the world through a microscope, science fiction movies become real!
You know Charlie, I posted these images on another forum and a lady over there said that on the X Files there was an episode where people would have fungal elements bursting from their throats :shock: . You know a lot of science fiction has come about; such as going to the moon, splitting atoms, "computers taking over the world" (hey now there is a good example!) and such foolishness but one never knows. :roll: Hey thanks Charlie :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic