A book review of interest to amateur microscopists...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

A book review of interest to amateur microscopists...

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :!:

Steve Neeley (psneeley) has written a brief book review of interest to our amateur microscopy members. We all know how difficult it can be to identify many microorganisms. The book Steve reviewed, I'm sure, will be a valued reference to all amateur microscopists. And the best part...it is darned inexpensive :!: :D

Read Steve's review HERE.

Thanks a bunch, Steve. :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Wolfgang Bettighofer

Re: A book review of interest to amateur microscopists...

Post by Wolfgang Bettighofer »

twebster wrote:Hi y'all :!:

... And the best part...it is darned inexpensive :!: :D

Hello out there,
both, the paper publication and the PDF are darned inexpensive (according to quality). So I'm using them both. The book delivers very high printing quality and it's a joy to browse.

Cheers, Wolfgang

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Updating this thread...

A current URL for this book, "The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried in Germany: A Biodiversity Hot-Spot for Microscopic Organisms", is
http://www.shaker.eu/en/content/catalog ... 322-2544-5.
Price for the PDF is today 7,37 EUR.

--Rik

chrismower

Post by chrismower »

Holy Mackerel! That book is the best 7.35 Euros I have ever spent! The photographs in this book are outstanding. I wish I had found this earlier as it would have saved me hours of trawling the internet looking for images of things found under my 'scope.

UPDATE It only cost me 6.89 Euros (£6.13), so even cheaper :D

ASTERON

Post by ASTERON »

twebster wrote:Hi y'all :!:

Steve Neeley (psneeley) has written a brief book review of interest to our amateur microscopy members. We all know how difficult it can be to identify many microorganisms. The book Steve reviewed, I'm sure, will be a valued reference to all amateur microscopists. And the best part...it is darned inexpensive :!: :D

Just Downloaded the book. It is indeed a terrific resource for microscopists.
thanks for the link and a big "hats off" salute to the authors for writing it and for providing such a meticulous beautifull and comprehensive manuscript.
As above So Below

Robert Berdan

Post by Robert Berdan »

Re this book has been available free as a PDF on W. Foissners web site (one of the authors) along with many of his others books on Ciliates for some time and this is where I recommend folks first obtain the e-book. See link below to his free publications.

http://www.wfoissner.at/publications.htm

Regarding the printed version - I was so impressed with the e-book and read it several times that I purchased the paper back version with full colours on Amazon.com for about $50 - the advantage of a printed version is that I can keep it close by and peruse it often. Most of the pictures are taken with DIC microscopy. I agree with the other comments the images are spectacular and for me I find it easier to identify many of the microorganisms by picture rather than looking at ink drawings. There are two versions of this book, they made several identification errors in the first volume, which makes me feel more "human" as it is difficult to identify some of these micro-organisms unless you have specialized knowledge in the field and this is almost impossible when you start to consider the different groups: bacteria, ciliates, Tardigrades, flatworms, algae etc . Overall it is an excellent book both the PDF version and the printed version. I recommend looking at W. Foissners other books on ciliates as well - the amount of free information he is providing is overwhelming.

Adam Long

Post by Adam Long »

These are available now in the UK for £18.77 including shipping - search on Abebooks. Highly recommended - really impressive quality, especially considering they were shot on 35mm film. Off to sample my local sphagnum ponds now...

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

This is a much more expensive book - but seems to be free on Perlego. I downloaded it with no problems.

Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electronic Imaging Douglas B. Murphy

Over the last decade, advances in science and technology have profoundly changed the face of light microscopy. Research scientists need to learn new skills in order to use a modern research microscope-skills such as how to align microscope optics and perform image processing. Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electronic Imaging explores the basics of microscope design and use. The comprehensive material discusses the optical principles involved in diffraction and image formation in the light microscope, the basic modes of light microscopy, the components of modern electronic imaging systems, and the image processing operations necessary to acquire and prepare an image. Written in a practical, accessible style, Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electronic Imaging reviews such topics as:
* Illuminators, filters, and isolation of specific wavelengths
* Phase contrast and differential interference contrast
* Properties of polarized light and polarization microscopy
* Fluorescence and confocal laser scanning microscopy
* Digital CCD microscopy and image processing

https://www.perlego.com/book/2760472/fu ... gKqS_D_BwE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic