Rotifer with egg amid Trachelomonas

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Rotifer with egg amid Trachelomonas

Post by Charles Krebs »

Olympus BHS. Olympus 40/0.95 S Plan Apo. Olympus NFK 1.67x photoeyepiece. DIC illumination with electronic flash. Canon 50D.

Olympus BHS. Olympus 60/1.40 S Plan Apo. Olympus NFK 1.67x photoeyepiece. DIC illumination with electronic flash. Canon 50D.

Ernst Hippe

Post by Ernst Hippe »

Charles,
thank you again for perfect pictures. I like it if the objects are shown in their natural environment, not always "cleaned" by special programs!
Ernst

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Beautiful work. I knew rotifers reproduced by eggs and had eyes, but this is the first time I have seen either. I assume the red spot is the eye?

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Very nice details and colors.

What is the red spot?

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I'm not sure of the "composition" of rotifer eyes. More basic protozoan eye-spots are groups of lipid globules of carotenoid pigments. They provide some orientation to existing light and (as is clearly seen in trachelomonas and dinoflagellates) allow the organism to move toward the light.

In a discussion of whether or not to use eye-spots for classification purposes, there is some interesting information in this excerpt:

There are a couple of older shots here that show rotifer eye-spots clearly:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=4804

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Very nice how the cilia touch the flagellum. Or is it undulipodium? Or should we now call eukaryote flagella also cilia? :-)

Rotifers have many interesting organs. Have you ever seen the flame cells working?

Wim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic