Gametophytes of Marchantia

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Top Canon 10D with Kiron 28-85mm Macro
Lower two Canon Pro 90IS with E3500 close up lens

I present three photo macrographs of the common leafy Liverwort Marchantia. The upper image shows a fresh spring growth amongst moss. The middle image a leaf, out of which gemma cups containing gemmae have grown up, plus a mature Archegoniophore (flower petal like feature –upper left) of the female gametophyte. I came across this specimen too late in the season to catch the Antheraidiophore of the male gametophyte which is necessary for sporophytic generation of the liverwort.

The lower image shows a close-up of the gemma cups and the gemmae they contain. They can be seen as the green disks in side the cups. The liverwort uses these to reproduce asexually when washed out by raindrops. Please see my post on the photomicrography forum for close-ups of the gemmae.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

An interesting series of images there Walt. :D I find liverworts quite common around areas of freshwater run off here in the mountains, some are associated with mosses, others are not. Personally I have never observed the gemma of any liverworts, I suppose I have not been in the right places at the right time, but I have read a little on the reproductive cycle of these plants. :)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great pictures of a very interesting and cool subject. After I saw your pictures I did a little searching for info and it does seem like I have seen some of these things around. I will have to add them to my must photograph list for next summer. Another strange and wonderful organism (heading to micro forum :wink: ) "LIKE YOUR HAT KEN"
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
"LIKE YOUR HAT KEN"
Yeah, you really can't get a good look at it but I figured I would sport it for a show anyway. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic