Foot of a jumping spider

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great links, guys!

Judging from the 5 micron scale bar on that last image linked by Cyclops (this one), the shaft of the setules looks more like 100 nm or less, versus the several hundred nm that I would have thought based on some text in the web pages. Not the size of thing to capture clearly with light (barring some fancy UVB or higher imaging :wink: ). But it looks like the spacing between setules might be 500-1000 nm (0.5-1 micron), which puts it on the edge of my optics. (The higher mag picture above is shown at about 2.3 pixels per micron.) So there's a chance that some of the finest detail we're seeing is individual setules.

I still lean toward the clumping conjecture, though, knowing what this specimen went through before it got photographed. At one point it got wet with solvent. After all the liquid had evaporated, I had to fluff it with a CO2 duster just to get the 100-micron hairs well separated. Who knows what shape the setules are in! (Ah, the difficulties of specimen prep -- I'll do better next time, I promise...)

--Rik

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Could it be that the apparent resolving of fine detail is due to interference, or birifringence?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Well, this is going to be a long term discussion. :D I found one link too. Maybe you find it interesting, Rik. 8)

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/206/16/2733
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent!

MacroLuv, your link has very nice pictures, for example THIS ONE showing a high magnification side view of the setules. Spacing shown there is also in the vicinity of 0.5-1 micron, making them on the edge of resolution by my setup. At 2.3 pixels/micron, it would not take much clumping to produce features of the size we see in my second image. It's interesting also, that image "B" shows what I take to be clumping there also. It looks like many of the setules are bent towards each other, with their heads stuck together.

Cyclops, I cannot completely rule out interference effects, but the lack of any apparent color in the fuzzy tips argues against it. If I were illuminating with narrowband light, then it would be easy for regularly spaced small detail to generate inteference patterns that would look like larger detail. But that effect depends on wavelength, so I'd expect the bogus bright and dark spots to appear in different places for different colors. No sign of that here -- the reds & greens & blues apparently track each other quite nicely (in the central region, away from the CA).

--Rik

Edit 12/24/2020: repair broken link, http://jeb.biologists.org/content/vol20 ... 478f3.jpeg --> https://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexb ... .large.jpg .

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Very impressive Rik. I have enjoyed these spiders most of all. This enhances my enjoyment even more.

Walt

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

As followup, I posted some higher magnification compound microscope shots over in the micro forum. See this posting.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic