The Mineral Chalcopyrite

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

The Mineral Chalcopyrite

Post by beetleman »

This is a common mineral, also called peacock ore because of its iriedescent blues, greens, yellows and purples. Most of the chunks we have are solid, but this one looked like it had some crystals in the matrix, so I decided to take a photo of it. Here is some more info on the mineral;
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/s ... alcopy.htm

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Fascinating! :shock: Crystals I saw were mostly salt.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Quite beautiful there Doug. :D I once thought of collecting rocks and some minerals shortly after acquiring my stereomicroscope but that is sort of on the back burner these days. Especially with a room full of lichens growing everywhere. :smt017

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

On the subject of collecting lichens Ken...are you trying to keep them alive, like giving them light and moisture or just preserving them (drying them out)?
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Great colour Doug. Mt Lyell mine in western Tasmania produces a bit of peacock ore, but its actually the mineral bornite, not chalcopyrite. It's very popular with the tourists. So much so, that the locals take brassy-coloured chalcopyrite and 'pickle' it to produce the iridescent hues.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hi Steve, The Chalcopyrite we get is usually listed as coming from Mexico. The kids love to buy it because of its color. I did not know that humans "pickle" them to speed the tarnishing of the colors, But I am not surprised. I am not sure if this one was naturally tarnished or "Enhanced" :roll: After looking up Bornite, they are saying the it is used in the trade as Peacock Ore "SO :-k :smt017 :smt102 I Don`t know. I know it`s pretty and makes a good picture :D
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/s ... ornite.htm
Last edited by beetleman on Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

beetleman wrote:I am not sure if this one was naturally tarnished or "Enhanced" :roll:
Hi Doug. Don't think that there is any way, unless you smell it straight after it has been done :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic