few shots from the backyard (40mm enlarger lens)

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

arlon

few shots from the backyard (40mm enlarger lens)

Post by arlon »

It sure is nice to have critters and flowers coming back...
All shot with an enlarger lens (no bellows) just for fun..
Click on the image for a larger view.

D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

These are very nice, Arlon!
Obviously, there are interesting critters inhabiting your backyard. No reptiles in mine .:(
Hence, I personally like your #1, the 'dragon', best!:D

If you don´t mind, I would be interested what enlarger lens you´ve used and how you´ve mounted it to your camera. I only know of using such lenses reversed but from "40 mm lens" and the estimated magnification on your pics I reckon you could have used it non-reversed/front-forward?! :smt017

Cheers,
Betty

arlon

Post by arlon »

I just used a 39mm to T mount adapter ($7 on ebay) and then used the T-Nikon adapter. Not very practical (fixed focus) but the images that fit where extremely sharp. As sharp as any from my other macro lenses.

Lens itself is a 40mm Bogen f3.5 enlarger lens.

D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Within its limits, you might get better results (for a given aperture) than you would with a bellows lens, in that the latter are designed to be rather further away from the film plane. As I understand it, a bellows lens is more or less a reversed enlarger lens in its characterisrtics. Or is all that too simplistic?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Arlon, that looks like a fun setup. :D

At low magnifications, this is the perfect way to use an enlarger lens -- short focus distance on the back of the lens.

A bellows lens at this same focal length would indeed be designed "reversed", with short focus distance on the front of the lens.

On the other hand, a bellows lens designed for the same fractional magnification we're seeing here would be designed like the enlarger lens, with short focus distance on the back of the lens.

But because of the longer extension implied by bellows, the bellows lens would also have a longer focal length. A good example is the 135 mm Olympus bellows lens (here), optimum magnification range 0-0.5X.

That longer focal length causes more of a "telephoto" perspective, in contrast to the more "wideangle" perspective that the enlarger lens will give. That's maybe good, maybe bad, depending on what effect you're looking for. It also reduces the angular coverage of the lens, making it easier for the designer to get flat field and uniform resolution corner to corner. The 135 mm Olympus is an awesome lens, with something like 4X higher resolution at the sensor plane than my DSLR can capture. (See bottom few images in this article.) But it's not very handy for shooting hand-held in the field. :wink:

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks guys, for the all the interesting information!

I like my enlarger lenses even more now.

--Betty

P.S.
Beep...Thank you Houston, I read you loud and clear! ...Beep. :wink: :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic