Mexican Honey wasp

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

arlon

Mexican Honey wasp

Post by arlon »

These little fellows love the fall/winter blooms of the Japanese Aralia.
Not the sharpest image but my wife won't give me my D50 back so I'm stuck shooting macro shots with the D200..

Larger image HERE.
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Michigan Michael

Post by Michigan Michael »

Nice capture, Arlon.
Looks pretty sharp to me!
I wonder why you prefer the D50 to the D200 though.

arlon

Post by arlon »

Michigan Michael wrote:Nice capture, Arlon.
Looks pretty sharp to me!
I wonder why you prefer the D50 to the D200 though.
After thousands of pictures I just think the d50 makes sharper images in my hands for my style of shooting than the d200 does. Have my thoughts why but any way I do it, I get sharper images from the D50. And yes, sharper images out of the camera look better than fuzzy pictures sharpened in PS. A lot of it is probably operator error because I'm not clever enough to figure out how to maximize every available shooting option on the D200. I'm getting better with the D200 but that's because my wfe has forced me into it. When I find a NEW D50 body left over on some camera shop shelf, I'll buy it..

I also just shoot "snap shots". If set up in a lab environment shooting dead mounted bugs for subjects the D200 might be a better camera. It does very sharp images when it can be shot off a sturdy tripod, mirror up and use the rear curtain for flash trigger. There are ways to get there but just not while standing on your head shooting offhand under a bush in a soggy field..

D50, same exact lens and flash:

Best to look at the larger image HERE.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I can relate to the d50/d200 thing. Though I am a Canon user, I found that using my Rebel 350D produced sharper images than my 20D. Why? I dunno. Just that the 350D images looked sharper and better to me. Now that I have moved the 350D down the road and have my 20 & 30D, I prefer the 20D over the 30D. Again why...? Dunno :smt017 :lol: Really nice wasp images though. They look pretty sharp to me. :D

arlon

Post by arlon »

I think it's the electronic vs mecanical shutter that has a lot to do with it. Most all of my D50 shots are at pretty high shutter speeds where the electronic shutter should be controlling the picture. Mechanical shutter opens, sensor is turned on and off then the mechanical shutter closes.

D200 is purely mechanical shutter and I think there is enough internal vibration from the shutter and mirror to affect details like the fine hairs on tiny bugs.. You can kind of isolate the shutter slap with a slow shutter speed in the dark and use flash to expose the subject. Haven't worked it hard enough to prove my theory. Easier just to go buy another D50 or wait till my wifes back is turned and grab hers...

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Super images Arlon. I think we all have our favourite cameras and lenses. Thank goodness I do not have anyone to swipe mine. :lol:
Joan Young

arlon

Post by arlon »

JoanYoung wrote:Super images Arlon. I think we all have our favourite cameras and lenses. Thank goodness I do not have anyone to swipe mine. :lol:
It's not so bad. I like that we can go out on a photo jaunt and be enthusiastic to the point of being competitive. I just hate it when she gets a better shot than me with MY own camera. What I really need to do is buy her a new one so I can get mine back and just get over it (-:}..

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Seems like you have the right idea there Arlon!! :D
Joan Young

LordV

Post by LordV »

Looks sharp to me as well :) lovely shot :)
Brian V.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic