Nuclear Pacemaker (seriously!)

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Nuclear Pacemaker (seriously!)

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

When pacemakers truly became feasible back in the 1970s, there were no batteries really up to the job. Battery life was less than a year. Since replacing the batteries meant heart surgery, this was a problem! Pacemakers powered by Plutonium-238 were developed to give a longer-lived power supply. Note that this is NOT the same type of Plutonium used in a nuclear weapon. The same sort of power supply has been used in some satellites and planetary probes, as well as on the "ALSEP" instrumentation packages left behind on the Moon by our astronauts.

Plutonium powered pacemakers had a very short lifetime of active use. Shortly after they really got going, lithium-ion batteries became available which gave several years of use. This pretty much halted the use of the nuclear-powered pacemakers. Now the overwhelming majority of these (thousands were used worldwide, I don't know a precise figure) are no longer in use, either the patients have passed on, or they have been removed and replaced by something more modern. A handful are still out there, and this one was just removed a couple of weeks ago after being in a patient for 29 years! It was still working perfectly, but the patient needed something this pacemaker couldn't be made to do.

After removal by heart surgeons, it was checked for radioactive contamination (none present!), and shipped away for disposal. I had an opportunity to take a few grab shots with a Rebel XTi and a 24-105mm lens.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Interesting bit of kit / story / history, Mike - thx :)

What's the approx size of this beast, btw?

pp

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I should have mentioned, it is about 2.5 inches long and less than one inch thick.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting topic, Mike!

BTW, Wikipedia has a good article on plutonium that touches on this use.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium, second and third paragraphs under Applications. The key parts are
The isotope plutonium-238 (238Pu) has a half-life of 88 years and emits a large amount of thermal energy as it decays. Being an alpha emitter, it combines high energy radiation with low penetration (thereby requiring minimal shielding). These characteristics make it well suited for electrical power generation for devices which must function without direct maintenance for timescales approximating a human lifetime.
The phrases "low penetration" and"minimal shielding" perhap deserve a bit more explanation. Alpha particles will not penetrate tissue paper. The thinnest of metal housings will completely contain them.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Good weapons grade plutonium is hard to come by these days. Dunno why? :roll: Hey a very interesting post here Mike. I did not know anything about pacemakers other than them just being something to keep the old ticker ticking. Thanks for the education. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic