Pretty little things

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

Pretty little things

Post by salden »

I do not know what they are, but they come in all sizes and they sure are pretty.
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

They look like Harlequin Bugs (Murgantia histrionica), or some very close relative.

Very pretty indeed, and well shot! :D

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Looks like a family reunion. I would say a very unusual instance where so many different instars are all in one place at the same time. A very nice find Sue and a beautiful picture.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

nice photograph, great dof, those bugs sure are pretty look at those lovely patterns, well done.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

So, doing our nails are we Sue :?: :lol: They are very pretty and it looks as though they were painted with nail polish. Well taken Sue. :D

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

I agree, Harlequins. Nice .

salden

Post by salden »

I did a seach on "Harlequins" and that is what they look like, but it was stated that these insects are found in the southern part of the US (both southeast and southwest); and rarely found in Pennsylvania and Colorado. I am in Pennsylvania. Wonder why they came to visit me :?
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue asked:
Wonder why they came to visit me :?
"Global Warming." Seriously, a lot of animals and insect species that were once found in the southern climates, are now migrating northwards due to the warming trends or at least that is what I have been reading. :D

salden

Post by salden »

Ken Ramos wrote:Sue asked:
Wonder why they came to visit me :?
"Global Warming." Seriously, a lot of animals and insect species that were once found in the southern climates, are now migrating northwards due to the warming trends or at least that is what I have been reading. :D
I just came in from outside and freezing my whatevers off...what global warming? :? :lol:
Sue Alden

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ken Ramos wrote:"Global Warming." Seriously, a lot of animals and insect species that were once found in the southern climates, are now migrating northwards due to the warming trends or at least that is what I have been reading. :D
Maybe this is why theres isnt many bugs around here, or maybe its still not warm enouth!!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

salden wrote:I did a seach on "Harlequins" and that is what they look like, but it was stated that these insects are found in the southern part of the US (both southeast and southwest); and rarely found in Pennsylvania and Colorado.
Different sources quote different ranges for these beasts (and a lot of others). For Murgantia histrionica, The Audubon society Field Guide to North American Insects & Spiders (copyright 1980, pg 486), says
Range: New England and adjacent areas of Canada to southern states, west to California, south into Mexico.
I gather that you haven't seen these beasts in your area before. So maybe there's some climate thing going on, or maybe you're having a local population explosion this year due to irregular cycles of disease and predators, or maybe a few gravid females got carried in with a load of firewood last winter and the disease and predators haven't caught up with them yet. Hard to say without a lot more data.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic