Apidae sensu lato

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Raul G

Apidae sensu lato

Post by Raul G »

Honey bee
Nikon D2X, Sigma 105mm, 1:1, F16, Illuminated by 2 norman LH2400 strobes with Chimera soft banks.
No stacking.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I presume this is a "Stick Shot" with the insect spiked on a wire through the background?

By "Stick Shot" I mean the way advertising photographers get images like supposed falling coins suspended in space by "Blue Tacking" the coins onto canes or wires pushed through the background out of view of the camera?

As its antenna are drooping I presume it is dead?

Nice picture.

DaveW

Raul G

Stick

Post by Raul G »

IT IS a stick shot, in fact is an 'acupuncture needle shot'.
acupuncture needles are great for manipulating small objects and very easy to remove at Photoshop.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Caronte,

Very clever and very well executed! I thought you would have a job catching an insect in flight in perfect orientation to the camera for DOF with no movement showing with the wings, even using electronic triggers, and more so using most studio flash which unlike camera flash guns has too long a light pulse to freeze such action.

Have you anymore shots like these, they show amazing detail for non stacked ones? An interesting method the photostackers could use, but I suppose when they have them speared on straightened paper clips they are a form of "Stick Shot" anyway.

Come to think of it though, all the large scale photostacked shots I have seen of insects have always been head on, I cannot recall any of the photostackers taking a side on, or plan view of an insect (either from the top or underneath)?

DaveW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice image, Caronte! :D
DaveW wrote:Come to think of it though, all the large scale photostacked shots I have seen of insects have always been head on, I cannot recall any of the photostackers taking a side on, or plan view of an insect (either from the top or underneath)?
How about Steve Valley's woodwasps, or my Autographa moth, or this June beetle?

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Missed those Rik, will check them out.

Thanks,

DaveW

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Nicely done pic, caronte :)

Dave - a few others for you...

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=343

Was also going to link to others by Wim - but the pics in those threads no longer show :(

<< As its antenna are drooping I presume it is dead? >>
Is this supposed to be the case, as I've got pics showing droop - of individuals that were very much alive?

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic